Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
was playing in a monthly and the ace pot was over 200. i threw and hit the basket. walked up and as i was putting my putt in a loud roaring cheer came from the next hole, someone else hit the ace. that was the single most demoralizing experience ever in disc golf.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 PM

I had what i think could be the worst kind of bounce out possible one day on hole 14 at williamsburg park in ohio, this is a steep down hill shot that if a disc carry's can hit the river.
So i tee of with my normal Hammer shot that has hit the basket 5 times before but with the angel of the throw and the way a hammer flys it always hit the top. Well one day i throw and it takes a perfect line and about half way down i thought well this is gonna be an easy birdie, then i see my disc come out from behind a tree and hit in the bottom of the basket and bounce hit 2 or 3 chains then fall on the ground next to the basket.
I have now hit the basket 8 times off the tee but i don't think i will ever get the ace i should have had.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
i think thats the biggest problem with hitting an ace on alot of the newer courses with their longer holes is that your coming in so hot with drivers that are very skinny and hard(joke here) that its not that unusual to hit the chains or the bottom of the basket but its not that often that they actually stay in. i can see how alot of people can get discouraged when they hear how many aces some people have hit but once you realize that people like cubby are counting aces they hit while not playing an actually game or playing pitch and putts it takes some of the sting out of it . i get some relief knowing my first ace will come the right way and itll be that much sweeter.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 84
the right way?...much sweeter?...sounds like you are a bit jealous...an ace is an ace
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 90
Chains for sure!
I was at Richmond Hill yesterday. Hole 15. I toss a beautiful drive down the middle of the tree alley with my champ cobra. The disc goes straight all the way down the hill & starts banking left to the basket. Everybody is holding their breath & it hits a tree about 5' in front of the basket & falls to the dirt. No Ace (woulda been my 2nd too), no chains, just a dirty deuce!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega SuperSloth View Post
....... i get some relief knowing my first ace will come the right way and itll be that much sweeter.
What exactly IS, the right way to hit an ace? I admit that emptying one's bag at a single hole takes some value away from it but if you're at the tee and you put it in the basket(Causal, league, or tourney play)..............ITS AN ACE !!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 134
I would agree to an extent...but I think it really only counts as an ACE if it is your first throw from the tee pad during that round.

For instance, there are courses that have some 88' holes. I could go and empty my bag over and over. Within one hour, I would guarantee that I make one. To me, that's not an ace. Never will be.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
"Tin Cup" aces are not aces, they're just an awesome result of a shot that just happened to be thrown from a tee pad.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
I would agree to an extent...but I think it really only counts as an ACE if it is your first throw from the tee pad during that round.

For instance, there are courses that have some 88' holes. I could go and empty my bag over and over. Within one hour, I would guarantee that I make one. To me, that's not an ace. Never will be.
that's what i'm saying. we need to tell cubby this.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 224
In my experience, you'll hit chains solid and bounce out about three times per every one shot that stays. So when I get a bounce out, I don't worry about it much -- it's just a great shot that was close, and it makes me feel good to have hit chains and is adrenaline for the rest of the round. Especially if I was aiming for the ace.

There is a huge difference between an ace that is a great shot and an ace that is luck. My ace count is probably 50/50. Most aces that hit and are flying way too hot to stick aren't great shots -- they would be 50'+ past the basket if they hadn't hit metal to slow them down. Most of the time, we're trying to land underneath the basket. If you're in the chains, you're 3' higher than you should have been.

The exception is when you are playing a course where you are actually trying for the ace -- either because you don't care about birdies -- or because you are throwing a line that allows for an ace run as well as a birdie. I've had a lot of forehand skip aces or forehand spike-hyzer aces where I was planning the skip or spike with a massively overstable disc (usually a firebird or banshee) to allow the disc to come in at an ace-friendly angle. Same is true with backhand spike-hyzers.

For me, a lot of the thrill comes when a shot does exactly what I WANTED it to do. If I'm trying for the ace and I hit chains, then that is a huge confirmation of a shot well thrown. If I hit chains on a dumb luck shot, then that's a little less encouraging... It means I made a mistake, and I should just be thankful for the drop in deuce.