Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Disc Golf Ministry

I want to approach my church in McLean, VA about a ministry involving Disc Golf. I have some ideas of what to do, but I would love some ideas from the discgolfers here about some things I could include in the proposal.

Here are some ideas I have:

1. Work Days at local courses, cleaning them up, maybe replacing signs and leaving some leaflets for golfers to use to keep score, and get a scriptural message as they do it.
2. Regular games at local or even traveling to other courses, and have a porayer and maybe a scripture for each hole as we play.
3. Printing church logo and a short message on discs or minis, and "leaving them behind"

Any other ideas for me to put together for a proposal?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
There is a local Church around here that has a course on the property, and they have Bible verses on the rims of the baskets. Its pretty cool. Here is a link to pics of the course.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/galler...3034&mode=gal#
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
one of my favorite courses is on church ground and im happy to say i havnt been accosted yet. next time i go out im planning on bringing some discs to donate since they do such a great job of keeping up their beutifal course and allow the public to play there, with that being said i would no longer play there if they decided to start ambushing people. i have no problem with someone in the act of playing said some kind words or invited me to check out there church or come listen to some music i would respectfully decline and thank them. if they or you want to minister to people on a chuch dg course i see no problem with but doing that on public courses is not right most of us go play to get away from all the b.s.of the world and just have a good time without being bothered its not fair to them to do what your proposing . if you want to invite cristians to come out on a certain day to play and hear b.s. do it but dont tread on the rights of others to be left alone.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega SuperSloth View Post
one of my favorite courses is on church ground and im happy to say i havnt been accosted yet. next time i go out im planning on bringing some discs to donate since they do such a great job of keeping up their beutifal course and allow the public to play there, with that being said i would no longer play there if they decided to start ambushing people. i have no problem with someone in the act of playing said some kind words or invited me to check out there church or come listen to some music i would respectfully decline and thank them. if they or you want to minister to people on a chuch dg course i see no problem with but doing that on public courses is not right most of us go play to get away from all the b.s.of the world and just have a good time without being bothered its not fair to them to do what your proposing . if you want to invite cristians to come out on a certain day to play and hear b.s. do it but dont tread on the rights of others to be left alone.
i think that if you are playing on church ground you are saying that you want to be approached and i think they have every right to approach you. dont get me wrong i see your point but as a believer i think that that would be part of the charm of a church course.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Eagle Member

The idea is not to minister to others while playing, but certainly doing things through our actions that will be positive... such as cleaning up trash and debris, leaving a note or two behind saying who di it is appropriate in my view. Also if we travel and play at a course, the bible verses and ministering would be among our group only, and not for others, unless they choose to join in.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDiscHead View Post
have a porayer and maybe a scripture for each hole as we play.
That might not be such a good idea, especially at a busy course. Once a round would fly but every hole I don't think so.

No offense, but I'm not sure the disc golfing crowd would be open to ministry, this was a sport essentially popularized by hippies and college students who enjoy inebriating outdoors. You'd probably be better off working the angle of bringing non DG'ers into DG via Christianity as opposed to bringing DG'ers into Christianity via DG. If I'm trying to get a round in and run into a group kneeling in prayer in the middle of the fairway then they might want to pray for protection from a Wraith depending on how many bogeys I had

Feel free to leave some plastic around though, that's a good idea.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
I can never object to anything pro DG like course maintenance I just hope this thread doesn't get as heated as the last one on religion. Wait! I got an idea! I'll threadjack for the greater good! I think Rocs are overrated!?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Eagle Member

"Lord. protect us from the discs!" I was thinking a very short verse reading- not a long prayer or discussion, because I know what you mean about a group holding up others being a big nuisance. Truth be told, I agree that introducing non dg Christians to this sport would be a big goal for me...as a dg evangelist

I do need, however, to sell the idea to my church
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
I heard Jesus throws a Roc...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Eagle Member

Dobson? Like focus on the family Dobson?