Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 51
Is a disc OB if the area it lands in is usually under water, but is not for your lie?

I had a throw at the Westminster DGC that landed on a small island in the middle of the creek. Normally this island is submerged, but being early in the year before all of the mountain snow melt and run off this island was there. Does this throw count as OB or is it good considering it was dry. Maybe some DG rule purists may know the answer to this one.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 54
Thats a tough call, but if the creek is considered OB, than it is OB.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 84
obs can be touchy subjects unless there is a clear line or boundary you have crossed..if the creek is ob...you are ob(imo)..
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
This also brings up the question of seasonal creeks or creeks that are only partially filled with water. There are a lot of creeks like that in the Austin area. Since the elevations of these creeks can fluctuate month to month or even day to day, the way my friends and I play it is if it's in water it's OB, if it's on dry land, play it from where it lies. No idea the official rules on this though.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
obs can be touchy subjects unless there is a clear line or boundary you have crossed..if the creek is ob...you are ob(imo)..
I agree with that.

Now if you were on a peninsula of some sort that is may often be covered with water, but was not when you landed there, I think that would not be OB in many situations... but unless it was at my local course I would not argue too hard either way on that one.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
It's OB.
Unless there is a special designation in the course rules listing this as playable, it's OB. If you cross the line into an OB creek, you are OB - even if it is visible and playable.
As for casual play, have fun, play it!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Arroyos like seasonal creeks and drainage ditches can be tricky as some have a well defined gully where you can make the determination based on territory instead of water level, and others have more of a gentle slope where you really can't. For casual play, if you want to use the rule of "if it's dry your safe", I see no problem. In a tournament, there should be a notation by the TD regarding this.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah, in a tournament they will usually designate this. If you are playing for fun though I would generally play if it is dry it is good. If you could land your disc on a log used as a bridge over water I would say play it. However, if your disc floated in the water and then ended up on that island I would say tough luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 29
Water is not automatically out of bounds. Out of bounds areas must be declared (marked on the hole sign typically). Our club plays the local creeks as casual water, which seems fair to us since the water level changes from high to absent.

So the answer to the original question depends on if the creek on this course is considered OB or not. If the creek is OB, then an island in the middle of that creek - even if dry - is OB too. I don't know the course in question, but it sounds like a good one to declare a casual obstacle.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
In a tournament it should be discussed/covered in the players' meeting by the TD leaving no ambiguity.

For casual play I think it depends on the nature of the creek. Say the creek runs parallel to the fairway and it's typically played as "OB in the creek and beyond". In that case I think you'd probably be called OB since the OB boundary would be the waterline at the creek and shore edge. But if the creek is an OB obstacle that crosses the fairway and the goal is to clear the creek (or lay up) then I'd say if you landed on an island with at least some of the disc on dry land then you're lucky and be called safe. But for casual play it typically doesn't matter that much.

Interesting question, and everyone will potentially have a different take on it.