Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton
For what it's worth...

Idlewild > Flip City... and it's not even close.
You have to appreciate Flip for what it is... one man's vision of world class disc golf that's been refined and added upon for nearly 30 years. Oh, and it's 24 holes. But other than that, if you compare course to course without getting sentimental, Idlewild blows Flip out of the water.

Oh, and Lincoln Ridge is overrated. The holes along the creek are pretty, but that's about it. It's a 3.75 or maybe a 4 at most.

And I couldn't find the disc golf course at Mt. Airy.

And Monroe was very 'meh.' Didn't impress me at all.

I'll have my Idlewild review up either late tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to hold off on reviewing Lincoln Ridge and give it a second chance later this summer. It's not really fair to play another course right after playing (possibly) the best disc golf course in the U.S.

Notable courses I've played, in order of preference:
1. Idlewild
2. Flip City
3. Water Works (KC)
4. Pickard (Iowa)
5. Hudson Mills Original (Michigan)

There will come a day where they're all in the top 10. Just wait and see.

Last edited by Greg Layton; 04-18-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 55
Wow... Idlewild tops the list... Of a Michaganer no less
Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Wow... Idlewild tops the list... Of a Michaganer no less
In a perfect world a person's state of residence wouldn't mean anything. HBB is for the birds.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 119
The level of dificulty at Idlewild is so much greater than any of the other courses you played. Lincoln Ridge is just not in the same class as Idlewild IMO. It has many open holes aimed more towards beginners and recreational players. Monroe is the same, but way shorter. I liked Monroe but it was not challenging to me. It would be a good course to work on your shorter techical game.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Layton View Post
For what it's worth...

Idlewild > Flip City... and it's not even close.
You have to appreciate Flip for what it is... one man's vision of world class disc golf that's been refined and added upon for nearly 30 years. Oh, and it's 24 holes. But other than that, if you compare course to course without getting sentimental, Idlewild blows Flip out of the water.

Oh, and Lincoln Ridge is overrated. The holes along the creek are pretty, but that's about it. It's a 3.75 or maybe a 4 at most.

And I couldn't find the disc golf course at Mt. Airy.

And Monroe was very 'meh.' Didn't impress me at all.

I'll have my Idlewild review up either late tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to hold off on reviewing Lincoln Ridge and give it a second chance later this summer. It's not really fair to play another course right after playing (possibly) the best disc golf course in the U.S.

Notable courses I've played, in order of preference:
1. Idlewild
2. Flip City
3. Water Works (KC)
4. Pickard (Iowa)
5. Hudson Mills Original (Michigan)

There will come a day where they're all in the top 10. Just wait and see.

Yeah? Not even close?

That comment to me just proves that there will never be an "accurate" list of top courses, and that its purely based on individual opinion.

HBB aside, I take still take Flip City #1 (but thats just my opinion).

It seems to me just by how you have Hudson Mills in your top 5 that you find course necessity's and maintenance to be more important than say like hole variety and course beauty. Again proving the point that its purely opinion (but I guess that can only be a good thing).

I played Idlewild not to long ago and it was awsome!! Hopefully one day they put in "Next tee" signs and add a few more holes

With all that said, Idlewild is currently #2 on my list so im not trying to hate on it, it was just the "not even close" comment that got me.

Oh and also, if you didnt like Lincoln Ridge than you didn't miss much by not playing Mt. Airy.

Last edited by DirtyMittenDG; 04-20-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
Yeah? Not even close?

That comment to me just proves that there will never be an "accurate" list of top courses, and that its purely based on individual opinion.
As Flip's biggest cheerleader, I guess I should have known you'd get defensive. It's not like Idlewild being better than Flip makes Flip not a 5 star course. It's simply that one man can only do so much... there has to be a small army of folks taking care of Idlewild. This shows not only in maintenance but in the variety and layout of the course.

Everything is always based on opinion. Even if we both come up with a list of things we think are important at a course and figure out a way to quanitatively and objectively measure the items on that list, our lists will still be different. For example, Flip City offers camping and Idlewild doesn't (AFAIK), and that's important to some people but not to me.

Oh, and Idlewild has "next tee" signs. They're marked on the map at each hole (which weren't there when you played) and nailed to many of the trees.

RE: Hudson Mills, the fact that it's 5th on that list means it's probably about a 4 to 4.25 in my book. Mason County Beast could have just as easily gone in that 5th spot.

Last edited by Greg Layton; 04-20-2009 at 07:57 AM.