Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
My first round ever was in summer gym like 12 years ago and I can't recall the score but I played bad enough I was discouraged from playing again for something like 7 years. That round I shot 78 (+12) and what kept me going was the desire to be a better player and have a respectable score. I think it took seeing all shapes and sizes throwing well to realize that I could too with practice.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 93
I played my first round at what I later realized was by far the worst beginner course in the area. I shot a 102 at McNaughton Park but now I am happy to shoot in the upper 60s there.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
You kept score your first round? With first timers (or second or third) I'd say forget keeping overall score. Just let them play on a hole to hole basis and if they par or even birdie a hole great job, if not no worries. To keep him playing, don't have him think about score, just about the throws.
If you don't keep score, how will you know if you broke the course record?

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/fore+...the_World.html

Kim Jong-Il shot a -38 with 5 hole-in-ones his first time playing ball golf, and had a perfect game his first time bowling, imagine what he could do in disc golf.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 38
I had an orange Shark 172 and I threw about 4 really nice shots, and that was enough to set the hook!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
I have no idea what kind of score I shot. I only remember my second tee shot. My friend told me to try teeing off FH like they all did. I stepped up and threw, wow did that disc go high up in the air, I figured with how high it went it would certainly go far down the fairway. I was sorely mistaken as it faded hard to the right about 40 ft in front of the tee and 30 ft deep into some very nasty rough on the right side of the fairway. Oddly enough this horrible experience hooked me.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
My two college-age sons took me out to a 61+ SSA-rated course and I didn't keep score, but it wasn't pretty. The difference is, now I keep score. But it still ain't pretty.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 81
+1. It was on a two hole course on my parents property. The targets were 50 gallon drums. Hole 1 (200') had no fairway and I threw an accidental spike hyzer over the cedar trees with my one disc (a gazelle) and it landed two feet from the drum for a birdie. Hole 2 was also about 250' with only one large oak tree guarding the drum. I threw so noseup into a 2 oclock headwind that my disc lifted and flew left over a 6' tall brick fence. my second shot got stuck in the oak tree about 20 feet up. I saved double bogey with about a 17' clutch putt (you had to get it in the drum to hole out).

This was my first round about 12 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 55
These are great stories!

I played my first round at Oak Grove, Pasadena, before they changed the name of the park to something totally unpronounceable that looks like it came off a late night talk show ("hahahahamanglemuck" or something like that). Anyway, I didn't have a disc so I went out to Alcorn Liquors up on Foothill and bought a ***brand-new*** Innova Wolf! I dug the fancy choppers on the hotstamp

Came back to the course and shot a whopping +26, at which point I knew with a certainty that passeth all understanding that there was nowhere to go but up. Or down, as in score.

Took me about 10 years but I finally parred that course, still being afflicted by a terminal case of weenie-arm.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
+1. It was on a two hole course on my parents property. The targets were 50 gallon drums. Hole 1 (200') had no fairway and I threw an accidental spike hyzer over the cedar trees with my one disc (a gazelle) and it landed two feet from the drum for a birdie. Hole 2 was also about 250' with only one large oak tree guarding the drum. I threw so noseup into a 2 oclock headwind that my disc lifted and flew left over a 6' tall brick fence. my second shot got stuck in the oak tree about 20 feet up. I saved double bogey with about a 17' clutch putt (you had to get it in the drum to hole out).

This was my first round about 12 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Hmmm...I thought you said your first time to play was at Zilker and you hit chains on one of your tee shots...?