Disc Golf Store
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Sorry, hungry and didn't have that good of a day. Kinda on edge right now.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
All good man, no worries

-- MVP (cmrichar) -- Can we at least have a teaser photo of Neutron, even if it has nothing to do with anything? I just wanna know if it's the pink stuff I love [second] most in life or not
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

I just want to know if there will be orange. I can't imagine that there won't be seeing how it's one of the brightest colors, along with yeller and pink.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 PM

Ah, yes, the creamsicle butt-tickler...personal fave. I'm sure it will be, weren't green and orange the first two colors of Proton [translucent] plastic? (or was the opaque stuff called proton also? I was late [reluctant] to the MVP party..)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemyS2K View Post
^^No, because how well the core holds up would directly relate to the overmold/outer edges lowering [getting more beat up] AKA becoming less stable...wouldn't it?
Quote:
^^I don't disagree with you, but what I am saying is that the overmold is rigid because there is something inside of it to absorb impact. You know that Star beats faster than Champ, why wouldn't that be relevant just because MVP discs also have an overmold?
For that to be true, the two materials would have to be very similar - and they aren't. If the overmold is stronger (say, via density which gives it added comparable stiffness, which it appears to do), then the core won't be able to overpower that and drag the overmold along with it into a lessened stability. I think this is why they're so damn near "unbeatable" compared to the solid plastics we're used to. We know that scuffs and dings don't do a great deal to affect flight qualities, but that seems to be all MVP has going for it in the beat-in category. When my first-run Axis was brand new last year, its stability was just about equal to the current production Vectors (yes, apparently I got a freaky stable Axis...others I had were not like that). I'm still waiting for that sucker to lose some stability and I can't wait until it does. lol
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugjitsu View Post
^would that not require a change in overmold plastic?
Quote:
^^No, because how well the core holds up would directly relate to the overmold/outer edges lowering [getting more beat up] AKA becoming less stable...wouldn't it?
I am pretty sure if the overmold was less durable you could beat an MVP disc understable even if the core was in perfect shape. If you could ding, dent and cut the overmold you would add lift and make it less stable.

EDIT: I'm a slow typer.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Ah, yes, the creamsicle butt-tickler...personal fave. I'm sure it will be, weren't green and orange the first two colors of Proton [translucent] plastic? (or was the opaque stuff called proton also? I was late [reluctant] to the MVP party..)
First 3 candy colors were orange, lime, and clear. As for the old opaque proton, clue came first, then I have no clue after that. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
I am pretty sure if the overmold was less durable you could beat an MVP disc understable even if the core was in perfect shape. If you could ding, dent and cut the overmold you would add lift and make it less stable.
Exactly.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahyzer View Post
For that to be true, the two materials would have to be very similar - and they aren't. If the overmold is stronger (say, via density which gives it added comparable stiffness, which it appears to do), then the core won't be able to overpower that and drag the overmold along with it into a lessened stability. I think this is why they're so damn near "unbeatable" compared to the solid plastics we're used to. We know that scuffs and dings don't do a great deal to affect flight qualities, but that seems to be all MVP has going for it in the beat-in category. When my first-run Axis was brand new last year, its stability was just about equal to the current production Vectors (yes, apparently I got a freaky stable Axis...others I had were not like that). I'm still waiting for that sucker to lose some stability and I can't wait until it does. lol
I can comprehend what you said, but don't necessarily agree...but then again from the posts of yours I've read I'm pretty damn certain you have more knowledge on the scientific background than I do, lol. I more meant, if you smack a tree 30' away from you with 350'+ of putter power, the overmold isn't the only one taking a beating. If (pretending the flights were the same) you played that entire year with just the overmold of that Axis, it would be wayyy more abused than it looks now...would it not?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

If I had my bag in my apartment I'd show you a side-by-side of my first Axis vs. the new FR Green I just put in my bag. Yes, there is a difference, but it's not as bad as you would think. I've literally thrown the thing 700+ times.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM

Trust me, I've beaten up multiple domey heavy green FR Vectors, I loved the damn things. I know how well they hold up, I guess I just disagree that they'll beat in the same amount with a different core.

What if they made a DX plastic core? Would that not break in faster?

EDIT: I've beaten up 15+ MVP discs, I don't know why I only mentioned the Vectors....I guess I abused them the most.

Last edited by GripEnemy; 07-20-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Closed Thread