Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
They'll beat in a little more, but I'm going to guess not by much. The overmold will protect it some, like others have previously said, but not enough to protect it from everything. I can say that for a fact because the overmold doesn't even protect the Proton core 100%. This is all assuming that Neutron beats in faster than Proton will of course.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

It's still the two dissimilar materials that are the factor here. If they aren't very close to similar in their plasticity, then one is overpowering the other and keeping that one from doing what it might otherwise...probably a really poor example, but...no, that's a terrible example and I can't think of one. lol. Obviously the core is similar to what we already have in normal discs, little more stiff. The overmold is sold to us as a more dense material (gyro...duh), and just from flexing and fingernail tests (and a little sanding repair) it does seem considerably stiffer and tougher than the core plastic. The physical numbers are out there, I'm sure, if MVP would share those or the exact materials used...so this is a bit of educated guessing here based on having the discs in hand and throwing them for enough time compared to our usual time-tested discs to notice the difference. So.....if the overmold material is "stronger" than the core, then even though the core is taking a beating and wishes it could affect the flight more than it apparently can, the overmold says, Sorry, I'm boss, and I'll adjust my plh when I feel like it. I guess we'd have to assume that the qualities of the overmold material don't change much with abuse, but it seems like it doesn't.

...ok, I'm getting stupid here but does that make sense? Maybe I'm way off, but clearly we see more durability/retention of initial stability...so this is my stab as to why. Assuming the overmold stays the same material, it'll be interesting to see if Neutron beats in any differently than Proton.

Also, I wish I had 350' of putter power.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahyzer View Post
. . . Also, I wish I had 350' of putter power.
It doesn't help when you've been playing since you were 12 and still can't putt lol
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemyS2K View Post
Trust me, I've beaten up multiple domey heavy green FR Vectors, I loved the damn things. I know how well they hold up, I guess I just disagree that they'll beat in the same amount with a different core.

What if they made a DX plastic core? Would that not break in faster?

EDIT: I've beaten up 15+ MVP discs, I don't know why I only mentioned the Vectors....I guess I abused them the most.
The overmold protects the core, and the core supports the overmold so if either was less durable it would beat in faster(at least that's what I think.) I would be curious how that would affect how it beats in, losing fade versus losing HSS.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

ok...this is a stretch, but think about a wooden board in the heat and humidity. Eventually it's going to want to warp somehow. Now if you glue a thin piece of fiberglass sheeting to the back of the same board, it's still going to want to warp, but unless it can overpower the fiberglass, it's going to be limited or stopped dead in its tracks. I'm kinda thinking the qualities of the overmold material are tough/strong enough to want to keep the shape and resist collapsing or whatever it is that happens to the core material/regular one-piece discs. So the beating in is delayed a great deal and we're left with surface imperfections to change the flight just a wee bit.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Even though the PLH stays at the same spot, doesn't mean that it doesn't move. With the bead getting worn down it makes it act as if the PLH is lower.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Both the core and overmold are urethane plastic. The cores are pure plastic and the overmolds are plastic packed with a weighting agent. In theory the weighting agent is not as strong as the plastic, so the pure plastic cores should be marginally more durable.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
I need to leave this thread alone, I almost feel bad at this point. To once again disagree, wouldn't the wood just warp away from the fiberglass? If the glue held up stronger than the wood, it would eventually crack instead of warping...no?

I really am not trying to be an ass, I just can't agree with the logic

EDIT: Discspeed to the rescue!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Also, the chemical bond between the two plastics is stronger than the plastics themselves.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemyS2K View Post
I need to leave this thread alone, I almost feel bad at this point. To once again disagree, wouldn't the wood just warp away from the fiberglass? If the glue held up stronger than the wood, it would eventually crack instead of warping...no?

I really am not trying to be an ass, I just can't agree with the logic

EDIT: Discspeed to the rescue!
You're complicating a hypothetical example. lol. And a conjectural one at that. Obviously it depends on the particulars of each component, but in this case we are using completely inert glue that does not ever separate from anything it's stuck to...much like the MVP bonding process.

So...thanks for the lowdown, Discspeed. Curious now about the overmold and what part it might play here. Maybe I'm totally wrong. Additives don't necessarily weaken their parent material, but this is where the chemists come in and explain their chain molecules. When we say that the chem bond is stronger than the individual parts, I can see that totally...wonder if it adds any stiffness in that zone or something. Or what causes these discs to be so hard to beat in? Does the overmold just disperse shock so the core doesn't take the load as much? My head hurts, and my bag is full of Swedish plastic...
Closed Thread