Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 87
The shape of the edge of the core may also give it more structure. Similar to an "I" beam going around the edge of the disc. If you look at where a disc fails when the nose gets bent down it isn't always the impact point. It is normally out from this point in equal directions that the disc folds at. If the shape of the core helps keep the outer rim more rigid over a longer area it will fail less.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
The shape of the edge of the core may also give it more structure. Similar to an "I" beam going around the edge of the disc. If you look at where a disc fails when the nose gets bent down it isn't always the impact point. It is normally out from this point in equal directions that the disc folds at. If the shape of the core helps keep the outer rim more rigid over a longer area it will fail less.
I've considered this as well and I think it has definite merit. I've had a lot of MVP discs for a long time now and their flight characteristics seem to change slower than other single plastic discs.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up

I feel like this thread has morphed into the science channel.
I am both intrigued and getting a headache...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've considered this as well and I think it has definite merit. I've had a lot of MVP discs for a long time now and their flight characteristics seem to change slower than other single plastic discs.
Very much agree. They are second only to my vibram discs in that regard.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 14
So, I realize that this is entirely based upon speculative reasoning...but:

With MVP's upgrade to newer (and larger-quantity) production equipment, I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference between the discs manufactured after upgrade and before.

Reproducibility is the key to quality control, and, because MVP has produced their discs in smaller batches with (presumably) smaller machines, will this transfer up to larger equipment?

I am by no means implying that their quality control will diminish or that their discs will be in any way inferior to those now. But I do wonder if their will be a sort of "11x-effect" that occurs with the move to bigger equipment.

Maybe I just like the idea of owning discs produced in the "start-up" stage of MVP.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 87
What's an "11x effect"?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
What's an "11x effect"?
A more desirable (so it seems) run in a particular mold. Just wondering if the same will apply after the equipment upgrade (whether actual or perceived).
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
I wouldn't say that discs you bought since the Axis are from the 'start up' stage. 2nd run Ions and early Vectors would be considered 'start-up' stage.

But I see what you're saying here, and I honestly don't think that MVP would willingly change there equipment if they knew that it would change the characteristics of their discs.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenn View Post
So, I realize that this is entirely based upon speculative reasoning...but:

With MVP's upgrade to newer (and larger-quantity) production equipment, I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference between the discs manufactured after upgrade and before.

Reproducibility is the key to quality control, and, because MVP has produced their discs in smaller batches with (presumably) smaller machines, will this transfer up to larger equipment?

I am by no means implying that their quality control will diminish or that their discs will be in any way inferior to those now. But I do wonder if their will be a sort of "11x-effect" that occurs with the move to bigger equipment.

Maybe I just like the idea of owning discs produced in the "start-up" stage of MVP.
They might have some bad discs while learning the new machines but after that they will be back to making the same discs. I would bet that none of the bad discs will leave the factory either.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Birdie Member

Fair enough. I guess my question was more generally: What effect do machine and equipment upgrades have on production? I'm more-or-less ignorant on the manufacturing process.
Closed Thread