Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Soo...is there any reason that neutron isn't available in green? Its my favorite color
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
Couldn't say but I've become a bit obsessed with my pink and yellow testers. Ever since I switched to MVP putters over a year ago I've been using nothing but softs for putts but somehow these neutrons have won me over for a putting putter. They just feel so nice and I feel like no matter what kind of throw I'm doing...fh drive, bh drive or putt...I get such a clean release. Not sure why since neutron doesn't feel a world different than proton but either way I'm getting results.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
It's the same mold without the "tooling" aka the textured bottom and the lettering (Maple Valley Plastics).
Having a hard time following your post, I dont think "tooling" means what you are using it for. If there was a textured bottom as described, wouldn't that be the result of the "tooling marks" left behind?

Tools are used to make the molds, the molds are then used to make the discs. If you leave tooling marks behind on the master mold, it will result in a textured or gritty surface on the product (disc) from the tool imperfections.

If you switch up tools, or tooling techniques, then you can clean up the mold. Better, newer tools will have better results when making the mold. So while the mold remains generally the same shape, it can have some minor differences based on improved tooling/machining of the mold. So if they got rid of the tooling marks on the mold surface, they would have a smoother finish on the molded disc.

Basically I think you meant to use "tooling marks", as there are no tools in molds.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Rick View Post
Having a hard time following your post, I dont think "tooling" means what you are using it for. If there was a textured bottom as described, wouldn't that be the result of the "tooling marks" left behind?

Tools are used to make the molds, the molds are then used to make the discs. If you leave tooling marks behind on the master mold, it will result in a textured or gritty surface on the product (disc) from the tool imperfections.

If you switch up tools, or tooling techniques, then you can clean up the mold. Better, newer tools will have better results when making the mold. So while the mold remains generally the same shape, it can have some minor differences based on improved tooling/machining of the mold. So if they got rid of the tooling marks on the mold surface, they would have a smoother finish on the molded disc.

Basically I think you meant to use "tooling marks", as there are no tools in molds.
Tooling is made up lingo by disc golfers and for disc golfers. It is used to describe marks, words, or other symbols on the bottom of discs.

Still interested in some data that supports all the textured opaque ions were done during one run. If that was not the case than 3rd runs would also be textured.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

I've seen blue opaque ions that were textured. I thought the opaque blues with the current logo were third runs?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Rick View Post

Actually, as it pertains to discs (and whether or not it's semantically correct), the term "tooling" describes any form of relief (lettering, and in this case a raised circle) on the bottom of discs. Since the raised words/labels/etc. are "tooled" into the mold, they're described as the "tooling" on the disc.

In the discussion on the 2nd runs, the bottom mold was "tooled" (or inscribed) with a double-level and texturing. In subsequent runs (batches/groups/whatever term was settled upon earlier), that tooling on the bottom mold was changed.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

All this "2nd run" stuff was made up by fans, and is just shorthand around here. Opaque textured is how I believe MVP refers to them.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I've seen blue opaque ions that were textured. I thought the opaque blues with the current logo were third runs?
There seems to be some that are spreading misinformation on the different runs.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Oh well. All the ones with the fixed bead fly great. Older ones are fun too but they're different.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Oh well. All the ones with the fixed bead fly great. Older ones are fun too but they're different.
I can't wait to get my neutron Ion I just ordered...

I had one of the old textured ones and it just didn't do it for me. Hopefully this one will be more like I hoped.
Closed Thread