Old 09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dang it to all the testers

I had no desire to buy an N Axis until your reviews

Thanks for the reviews, and making me blow money on more discs!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post

2 Axis (pink 178, blue 177, both moderate domes)
The two Axis fly pretty similarly to each other. However, they are quite a different animal from the Protons. To me, the Axis feels a little better with some dome, so that along with the grippier plastic really makes these feel much better in my hand. Flightwise these are flying much more like midrange versions of the Anode than my other Axis do...Meaning they are more HSS and drop slower than the older Axis. I like my FR green Axis for it's stability, but honestly it flies like it weighs 10 grams more than it does, dropping quickly as soon as it loses speed. While these N Axis are still spin hungry, they have a lot more carry at the end of their flight. While fairly domey compared to most P Axis, these N Axis don't fly like the domey pink FR Axis either, as they are a lot less LSS (and perhaps more HSS). These discs have me quite excited as they really seem like something new to me...I'm anxious to see what they think about a headwind though before I get too excited.
So, to make sure I am understanding you correctly. They are straighter at lower speeds (less rpm?) than Ps?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

If I understand Discspeed correctly, the N Axis is both less likely to turn at the start of the flight, AND less likely to fade at the end, than the Proton Axis. I'm not sure how this is possible, but gyro might explain it.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
So, to make sure I am understanding you correctly. They are straighter at lower speeds (less rpm?) than Ps?
They glide better at lower speeds, which means they are still gliding when they start to fade, so they are not really straighter at low speeds...Probably won't be straighter until they break in a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
If I understand Discspeed correctly, the N Axis is both less likely to turn at the start of the flight, AND less likely to fade at the end, than the Proton Axis. I'm not sure how this is possible, but gyro might explain it.
Getting a true no-turn-no-fade shot requires the thrower to impart the perfect amount of spin to keep the disc flying level at the perfect height so that the disc hits the ground before it stops spinning enough to cause fade. No disc truly makes this easy for someone who is not skilled enough to do as I describe above. I just want to state this so that no one buys a N Axis and is pissed at me because it doesn't fly straight without fade for them...

That being said, the N Axis is good at this because it's HSS allows it to be thrown perfectly flat without turning, the disc likes to ride flat, and it drops straight before it starts to fade. I think the dome on the N version helps with this because it allows the disc to keep gliding straight as it slows, where flatter discs tend to stall out earlier.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks for the info Discspeed. I've been leaving my Axis behind for the X Comet because I wanted a straighter flight with less fade. The Comet seems pretty finicky though. And, it's not great in the wind.

The N Axis sounds like the perfect blend of laser and glide, without turning with a good rip.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Axis & Vector, they be live.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Snagged the lightest Vector they had, 171. Really wanted an Axis in that weight, but to no avail.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Just got my second ACE today with my P vector after I fished it out of a pond. And to think, I was gonna leave it. My love has been solidified.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Axis & Vector, they be live.
Best feeling MVP plastic to date. No question

Über grippy. The axis neutron molded up great

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Question - are the core and overmold "keyed" into one another, like the first runs? The cross-section view on the MVP website shows an illustration with a smooth face along the edge of the core. Is that just to simplify the concept, or is that how they are made now? Just curious.
Closed Thread