Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

The anode is faster and without the bead I can easily see it being more stable in the wind. The bead on the ion can slow it down some and push it offline in the wid. . While the anode will cut through the wind better. The only dofference either way is the last 10 percent of the flight the ion will fade more and the anode won't fade at all. I trust my anodes more when I need no turn. It's strange.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
The anode is faster and without the bead I can easily see it being more stable in the wind. The bead on the ion can slow it down some and push it offline in the wid. . While the anode will cut through the wind better. The only dofference either way is the last 10 percent of the flight the ion will fade more and the anode won't fade at all. I trust my anodes more when I need no turn. It's strange.
Isn't the bead still there but just covered up more by the rim design on the anode?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I guess if we are being picky yea there is a small microbead on the anode. They do use the same core but the overmold is a different design and it does sit lower on the anode.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
No, I wouldn't say this is normal. I have thrown both and I think they both fight the wind well, but the Ion excels there whereas the Anode is proficient. So I would say its the archer not the arrow here. From throwing the Ion for a while, I'd say try hyzering it more, throwing it slower, or work on any OAT you might have.

i thought it might be OAT or me just throwing them poorly but it seems weird that i would just do that every time with all six of my ions but never my anode.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
I'm really trying to love these MVP discs and I have purchased too many of them. But. I feel that especially the putters are way to slippery/slick for putting purposes. (There is nothing wrong when driving.) Is there anything what I can do to make MVP plastic feel more tacky? At the moment my putting is way too inconsistent with Neutron Anode and it seems that I can't get enough spin to my putts. This seems to affect also to my release and a disc flying pattern during the putt is closer to a wounded duck than a laser.

I would like to have an all MVP bag but now it seems impossible. For reference I do like the Lat64 zeroline-plastic and Prodiscus Basic Jokeri.
I will probably get hated on for this but I would recommend trying a gateway magic. It flies almost exactly like my ions but has the grip to stick when the ions are slipping through. There is not enough difference in grip between proton and neutron to solve the problem of slip outs. Until mvp releases a plastic closer to baseline I believe this will be their #1 complaint.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 72
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ion mold was based off the Wizards, so I always assumed that those were the company's equivalents for those two discs.

MVP putters can take alot more speed other company's putters, but they are still putters. Once I really started figuring out how to throw the Ion I had the same problem as you, I started turning it over all the time and basically overthrowing it. Once I realized that I started throwing it slower and making smooth and gentle throws.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Honestly, I think there should be a sticky on what a bead actually is. I feel like there is a lot of confusion as to what merits a bead and what purpose they play.

Not saying any of you guys are using the term incorrectly, I just saw another thread where people were discussing it on midranges and there was a lot of confusion.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
I'm really trying to love these MVP discs and I have purchased too many of them. But. I feel that especially the putters are way to slippery/slick for putting purposes. (There is nothing wrong when driving.) Is there anything what I can do to make MVP plastic feel more tacky? At the moment my putting is way too inconsistent with Neutron Anode and it seems that I can't get enough spin to my putts. This seems to affect also to my release and a disc flying pattern during the putt is closer to a wounded duck than a laser.

I would like to have an all MVP bag but now it seems impossible. For reference I do like the Lat64 zeroline-plastic and Prodiscus Basic Jokeri.
Have you tried soft Proton? It's by far the grippiest of the 3 current plastic variations. The center is soft but the overmold is still stiff so they don't feel floppy at all.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcornRadio42 View Post
i thought it might be OAT or me just throwing them poorly but it seems weird that i would just do that every time with all six of my ions but never my anode.
Just like I posted in one of the other threads...It's OAT you are getting on the Ions, and OAT affects Ions (and all beaded discs) more than beadless discs. This is why I like the Anode...because I'm not big on the feel of beaded putters (especially big beads) I'm more likely to impart a little OAT on an Ion once and a while, and when I do it turns an overstable disc into an understable one. I either then never get OAT with my Anode or when I do get a little it doesn't show in flight.

The fact that you have this problem with all your Ions means almost 100% that it is something about you the thrower and not the Ion, and this goes farther to confirm my theory above.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm considering going only MVP and buying an Anode. It's the only MVP disc I have never thrown. The only thing I would use it for it straight, to slight turnover approach shots. I just got a new RFF Magic for that shot, and it's working well. I love the way the RFF plastic feels for the fan grip I use on approaches. I'm not sure if a P Soft Anode would be a good substitute.

If they ever release a N Soft Anode, I'll try it for sure.
Closed Thread