Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Just like I posted in one of the other threads...It's OAT you are getting on the Ions, and OAT affects Ions (and all beaded discs) more than beadless discs. This is why I like the Anode...because I'm not big on the feel of beaded putters (especially big beads) I'm more likely to impart a little OAT on an Ion once and a while, and when I do it turns an overstable disc into an understable one. I either then never get OAT with my Anode or when I do get a little it doesn't show in flight.

The fact that you have this problem with all your Ions means almost 100% that it is something about you the thrower and not the Ion, and this goes farther to confirm my theory above.
If the anode and ion share the same core how would a different overmold shape cause less oat?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
If the anode and ion share the same core how would a different overmold shape cause less oat?
It appears he is saying that OAT affects disc with a bead more than a beadless disc. Since the overmold shape gives the Ion a larger bead he is saying that it is affected by OAT more. Now as far as the validity of OAT affecting beads - I have never heard of this so I have no idea if he is right or not.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
It appears he is saying that OAT affects disc with a bead more than a beadless disc. Since the overmold shape gives the Ion a larger bead he is saying that it is affected by OAT more. Now as far as the validity of OAT affecting beads - I have never heard of this so I have no idea if he is right or not.
The anode is not necessarily beadless. It has the same bead as the ion but the nose covers more of it up.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
The anode is not necessarily beadless. It has the same bead as the ion but the nose covers more of it up.
It does not have the same bead as the ion, maybe it has the same core but the bead is the portion that protrudes past the overmold and since the overmold covers up more of the core on the anode it makes the bead significantly smaller. Regardless, I never said the anode was beadless so I'm not sure why you quoted me in your post?

Last edited by Tmart; 10-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
It does not have the same bead as the ion, maybe it has the same core but the bead is the portion that protrudes past the overmold and since the overmold covers up more of the core on the anode it makes the bead significantly smaller.
It is the same height and feels the same in the hand. Just because the overmold covers it does not mean it is a smaller bead. If it is true though, how does the overmold shape causes more or less oat?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
It is the same height and feels the same in the hand. Just because the overmold covers it does not mean it is a smaller bead. If it is true though, how does the overmold shape causes more or less oat?
Actually it does. Anything below the overmold is the bead, anything covered up behind the overmold is not, it's just part of the core. By your logic where the overmold starts at the top, any core material behind it, going all the way to the bottom of the discs, is the bead. Whereas it's really whatever is not being covered up by the overmold is the bead. The wing shape, ei. less bead and concavity, makes it's potential for a cleaner release higher.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
MVP does advertise the Anode as their beadless putter, so I would go with their word on this one (even if we forum hounds want to call it a microbead or whatever).
Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
MVP does advertise the Anode as their beadless putter, so I would go with their word on this one (even if we forum hounds want to call it a microbead or whatever).
Technically they are correct. If you look at it, the "bead" (read core) follows the same line as the wing (read overmold). There is no notch in there so technically it's not a bead.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Geeks!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I'm considering going only MVP and buying an Anode. It's the only MVP disc I have never thrown. The only thing I would use it for it straight, to slight turnover approach shots. I just got a new RFF Magic for that shot, and it's working well. I love the way the RFF plastic feels for the fan grip I use on approaches. I'm not sure if a P Soft Anode would be a good substitute.

If they ever release a N Soft Anode, I'll try it for sure.
Anode works great for straight, anny or hyzer, but none of mine do a good turnover. They flick quite well though.
Closed Thread