Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 AM
* Ace Member *

This is like when MVP started stamping their discs and a wave of paranoia went off on here that they weren't going to keep making blanks (despite MVP's continued assurance that they would). Guess what? There are stacks of blanks in the warehouse at all times, as there are of opaque Ions as well. My bet is still that when you guys feel the clear colors your tune is going to change anyway, but if not YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO BUY OPAQUE IONS FROM MVP. Caps lock wasn't enough in my last post I guess. (next time I have to post this it will be accompanied by ).
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
.:MVP Company Rep:.

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
I wanted to clarify with everyone with our new colors in the Ions. This is the same great Proton line of plastic we offer in our discs, the only difference is the colorants we use. Ions originally used pigment based colorants which made the plastic opaque, however we are now switching over to our bright transparent colors as seen in the Vector. We do have some remaining inventory of our opaque colors in Ions.

This is now going to enable us to keep our runs even more consistent, while having the utmost in quality of our discs. There is surely no worry about 'harder to find' in our Proton plastic as we are using several bright dayglow colors and are extremely vivid. This also opens the doors for further polymer research and development.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrichar View Post
I wanted to clarify with everyone with our new colors in the Ions. This is the same great Proton line of plastic we offer in our discs, the only difference is the colorants we use. Ions originally used pigment based colorants which made the plastic opaque, however we are now switching over to our bright transparent colors as seen in the Vector. We do have some remaining inventory of our opaque colors in Ions.

This is now going to enable us to keep our runs even more consistent, while having the utmost in quality of our discs. There is surely no worry about 'harder to find' in our Proton plastic as we are using several bright dayglow colors and are extremely vivid. This also opens the doors for further polymer research and development.
I politely disagree that translucent discs are as easy to find as opaque discs. You keep calling them bright, but when they are in thick bushes in the shade, there is no sun to illuminate the so-called "dayglow" and all you see is bushes. I have ditched Discraft CryZtal plastic for just this reason. Time to listen to the throwing public.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm pretty sure that if an experiment was done on percentage of light reflection or some other variable that represented "how easy a disc is to see" that the new colorant Ions would blow the opaque away. If you haven't been using one of the brighter Vectors, then you don't really know how much it sticks out. My reddish/orange Vectors glow in the fairway or schule like no other. Innova/Discraft definitely do not use this colorant, so thier clearish discs do not really compare. Personally I can't wait to see these new Ions at night with an LED light...
Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrichar View Post
This also opens the doors for further polymer research and development.
Hmmm...I wonder what he's talking about? Proton plastic is clear now, so maybe if I was really into opaque I'd be really interested in this quote rather than worrying because my favorite disc keeps evolving...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 94
It's not about brightness, it's about contrast. Opaque provides more contrast against nature than translucent. But whatever, I'm pretty psyched for the new Ions.

It's hard to lose a disc that stays on the fairway so well anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
It's not about brightness, it's about contrast. Opaque provides more contrast against nature than translucent. But whatever, I'm pretty psyched for the new Ions.

It's hard to lose a disc that stays on the fairway so well anyway.
Have you ever had a tough time finding your Ion because it was caught vertically and all you could see was the black? This is the only trouble I've had with finding MVP discs, but it's a pretty rare occurrence.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Have you ever had a tough time finding your Ion because it was caught vertically and all you could see was the black? This is the only trouble I've had with finding MVP discs, but it's a pretty rare occurrence.
I've never had that problem, but I guess if I threw it in some tall grass that's a possibility. I was throwing my white medium ion around in the dark with some friends and realized it wasn't the best because the black rim was the only visible part while in the air, so I see what you're talking about.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 66
At least make opaque white for the dyers so I can get one of those.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
I sure hope discspeed is correct and you guys are still going to make the opaque ones as well. I have both the ion and the vector and you can definitely feel a difference in the plastic, there's no doubt about it.

Last edited by roadtripstuff; 08-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Closed Thread