Disc Golf Store
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
So one of my Axis had the dome sink in some from being left in my car. Decided to add some dome with boiling water. Think I went overboard.

http://i.imgur.com/b91PmqP.jpg

Wonder how she'll fly? Hah. The Vector I did up turned out a lot better. The Axis got too much suction on the bowl I set it on, it's a domey beast now.

lol good stuff there..
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Plastic Counselor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
My distance is not important, but I max out at 300. My point is that the disc is not designed to be understable or flippy. You may have a freak, truly flippy Volt, but any other one you buy should be stable.
i agree. even at 375/400 range it is plenty stable.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
My distance is not important, but I max out at 300. My point is that the disc is not designed to be understable or flippy. You may have a freak, truly flippy Volt, but any other one you buy should be stable.

I ask about your distance because the threshold of stability changes as you apply more power in the disc. Discs that are considered "stable" may be more understable for those that have more power. The Volt that I have flips up to flat and turns and doesn't come back when I put more power into it. My good rips are in between 370--400. My Volt did not want to handle that kind of power.

Quote:
i agree. even at 375/400 range it is plenty stable.
That's what I'm talking about. Those are the ones that I want. I want to be able to lay into it without it turning and burning. I want to get a good "S" line from them. I'm thinking a longer eagle-x in it's sweet spot.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Plastic Counselor

yeah my black 169 is money. handles wind ok and been throwing in cold mn winters.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
crd_81, sounds like you received an unusually understable one. I can throw mine bh 375-440 and they fly like a broken in eagle x...a little high speed turn, lots of glide, then a reliable fade. They just don't fade as much, but they keep a tight S despite the lack of substantial lss. Same with my forehand, they are my go to fh driver generally, I just don't flick as far.

If you click on the shock comparison link in my sig and skip to 3:30 or so I do some fieldwork with Volts and Shocks and you can see the types of flights I think Volts are supposed to have. How's yours flying in comparison?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
The Volt that I have flips up to flat and turns and doesn't come back when I put more power into it. My good rips are in between 370--400. My Volt did not want to handle that kind of power.

That's what I'm talking about. Those are the ones that I want. I want to be able to lay into it without it turning and burning. I want to get a good "S" line from them. I'm thinking a longer eagle-x in it's sweet spot.
"Normal" Volts should be able to handle 400 feet of power on a clean hyzer flip to fade line but I wouldn't call them high speed stable. They have pretty substantial high speed turn. It's a finesse driver. It can take years to beat in an Eagle-X before it hits Volt like stability.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 27
That axis is the perfect disc...

to use as a cereal bowl.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
Hah, gonna test it out shortly once I wrap up at work, and some new Amps if UPS brings em today. I got a big MVP shipment coming my way including pretty much every mold they make.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 19
I'm loving my Amp. It's great for hyzerflips, gentle turnovers and it will hold a hyzer as well. I really like that I can take a little off and get a nice straight flight. It also seems to be more predictable than a River, although I think the River probably has more distance potential. The Amp is a really versatile mold, especially for those of us who can't quite throw 400ft yet. It reminds me of a Pro Leopard (One of my favorite discs). It's probably my favorite of the 3 MVP drivers right now (Volt is a CLOSE second).

Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
For me:

Old Shock: 9/5/-.5/2.5
New Shock: 9/4.5/0/3
Volt: 9/6/-1/1.5
Great vids! Thanks for doing that. Guess I'd better get a new Shock since I was one of the complainers about its stability.

One thing is for sure, your drives are a ton smoother and longer than mine, so the main thing isn't the disc as much as the player. That is one thing I love about this game - there is always a huge amount of improvement to be made.
Closed Thread