Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

It's pretty obvious that MVP did not design their first 3 drivers with max glide in mind. They are all pretty flat with concave wings, a well known recipe for reliability and ease of ranging. These are fairway drivers after all, designed for placement rather than distance. They will make some glidier drivers once they have a serious pro lineup of discs.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
Question: will the first run Shock continue to exist as another named disc or will it drop off into obscurity?
its dead-- get em while they are available!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
Harder feel of the plastic? Could you explain what you mean by this? i find all their discs to be softer than many types of plastic from other companies. Are you referring to feel of grip or literal stiffness?

As far as glide, i think the putters and midranges have impressive and superior glide from majority of other discs out there. The fairway drivers however, have comparable glide to any other fairway driver i have tried in the past.

If what your saying is true, you should send your disc to MVP and tell them you want a quality control check/replacement because i have never heard of an MVP disc taking that type of wear and "huge chunks and gouges out of it" after only 5 throws. that's almost comical.
So after typing a long winded response and accidentally deleting it...

i'll just say this in short, i play in the Northeast, mountains, rocks, lots of tress. I think i hit a tree with it after about 5 or 6 throws and it ripped a huge chunk out of the over mold that stuck out like a splinter. It continued to get pretty beat up there after, sort of how Innova DX plastic can do, acquiring significant dents in the overmold.

I didn't like the feel of the plastic, it seemed rigid and hard. I'm having a hard time trying to compare it to something else... It was like the plastic from a fishing bobber? I'm sure it passes flex tests to meet PDGA standards but it just didn't feel nice in my hand. Personal opinion.

The Volt was the only MVP disc i ever bought and i know a few guys who love them i just didn't. Don't on my account we all have different playing styles, like different plastics, etc. It's just not a disc i like and i was expressing that. I'm sure i'd feel the same way if someone told me they didn't like Eagles.

I'm headed to Maine in a couple weeks i'll see if my bro still has it and snap a pic and share them since i was really shocked that it took so much abuse in such a short time.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
no disc can handle hitting rocks... trees won't ruin MVP over-molds but a rock will ruin any disc on the market. similar to innova DX? lol... you are kidding right?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 17
Hes obviously just trolling.. "It was like the plastic from a fishing bobber"

hahaha...

I should take a picture of my first run axis thats been in my bag forever, its still a 7/10 i would say.. holds up just as good as any premium plastic i have ever had.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 35
Send a message via AIM to inscho
I'm not saying they're tanks. I've got a few mishaps that gouged the overmold pretty good.. I hit the corner of a picnic table that left a nasty chunk. One of my older Ions hit an edge of a MachV weird and did the same thing. It's something that any disc would do in that situation. It just sucks because the MVP discs look so good
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
The overmold on MVP's discs is made of a rubber-like material that is very durable and resistant to direct impacts against most objects you'd find on a course, even rocky ones. However, because it is a bit softer than other premium plastic rims, the overmold is more vunerable to slicing, when hit by sharp objects (not trees) at a certain angle.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The overmold on MVP's discs is made of a rubber-like material that is very durable and resistant to direct impacts against most objects you'd find on a course, even rocky ones. However, because it is a bit softer than other premium plastic rims, the overmold is more vunerable to slicing, when hit by sharp objects (not trees) at a certain angle.
Overmold = Proton plastic + weighting agent + black dye. I think they might have used soft proton in some of the early Ion overmolds, but now all the overmolds are much stiffer than those. The amount of weighting agent used may make the plastic a bit easier to gouge than pure Proton, but it is still more durable than anything not made of nearly pure urethane (like Proton).
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
I don't pretend to know the exact components of the overmold. I did slice my Volt on a roller, and had to cut out the rim a bit before filing it smooth (it still flies the same). The little piece that I sliced off was a bit stretchy, and rubbery. I think this is what allows the overmold to be so durable, because it can absorb an impact, unlike a stiffer plastic.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
The over mold is made of proton plastic? It definitely seems like a different(softer) material to me. And didn't they say that the over mold is more dense than the core causing the gyro effect to be more pronounced? If they're the same how can there be any difference in density?
Closed Thread