Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Here's what I was wondering. I've seen videos where pros explain how more dome on a disc generally makes it more understable due to the increased air friction. However, on here, I've heard tons of people saying their domey MVP discs act more overstable. I know PLH makes a bigger difference than domeyness, but anyone have an idea about this contradiction in the disc golf community?
I had read something somewhere where it was stated that dome behaved differently for molds whose plh sat more than halfway up the profile of the disc. I think that flatness adds overstability in say, a firebird, because of the molds high plh. A wraith, however, seems to be more overstable when it is domey.

That being said, I suspect that the real answer is much more complicated.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
It is all about PLH. Dome just helps determine how the wind affects it, under and over the dome.

true stability comes down to how high the wing is. Just look at the new Shocks. They didn't increase the dome, they raised the wing/PLH to make it more stable. I also know they purposely made the Tangents flat rather than domey. Not sure if this was for cosmetic reasons or if they believe it works best to keep the mold more neutral.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
yeah, but what about discs with the same PLH but different domes?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
Its more valuable to an experienced thrower in my opinion because it goes on any line you put it on. So if you can't control the line your putting a disc on your not going to be able to control a neutral disc well
It's for this very reason I've ditched everything speed 8 and faster from my bag to start this year. And bought a Tangent based solely on the volume of quotes like this. I'm going to throw the thing until I can knock an apple off a stump with any line. Maybe I'll need a lot of Tangents...

K.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
It is all about PLH. Dome just helps determine how the wind affects it, under and over the dome.

true stability comes down to how high the wing is. Just look at the new Shocks. They didn't increase the dome, they raised the wing/PLH to make it more stable. I also know they purposely made the Tangents flat rather than domey. Not sure if this was for cosmetic reasons or if they believe it works best to keep the mold more neutral.
Yup. All my shocks are flat as can be and plenty HSS.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Par Member

So I've been field testing my MVP driver set the past few days and noticed this yesterday, whatever did it gashed through the overmold and core alike, it's hard to get a good picture of. There's an abandoned tennis court with some busted up sections at the park I practice at which I've had a few discs land on but I guess I just got unlucky with this one.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 17
hold on, let me go throw my champion, Z, and GL plastics at some mangled fence and post some pictures...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 10
After reading most of the mvp threads here, I pulled the trigger on a neutron axis. After throwing it some I think it has definite potential even after a short time.

My axis is in neutron. I really like feel of the plastic. How would you compare the proton plastic? Grip? Does one plastic fly a little different? I ask because I have 0 pro shops close and buy online.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
The proton axis has more turn. The neutron for me is very HSS but without significant LSS. The proton can be more of a line shaper where the neutron for me is just a line hitter. I prefer the speed and feel of the flat neutron. Neutron is also a tick faster IMO

Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
My flat protons start with the tiniest bit of turn (-.25 or so), my domey protons have 0 hss. I like Neutrons grip better above freezing, below freezing I prefer proton.
Closed Thread