Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
MVP soft putters give me an extra 10-15' of range before I jump putt over standard putters, and then of course give me at least that much extra range on my jumpers.
This is definitely true for me. I switched to a puddle-top soft Ion from Yeti's. I love it, but I've had to change my ranging up quite a bit as I was over-shooting almost everything. Even with the puddle top, they just glide forever.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenn View Post
This is definitely true for me. I switched to a puddle-top soft Ion from Yeti's. I love it, but I've had to change my ranging up quite a bit as I was over-shooting almost everything. Even with the puddle top, they just glide forever.
too true which is why ions and anodes make excellent pitch putter discs.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Smile From the ACE thread!

Got one today! Hole 6 Maple Hill: Reds, 310. Mark in the proshop said not only is the hole in the top two for difficulty for the layout but he's never heard it has been aced before!

I threw my beloved light pink MVP Volt so smooth and so straight. The funny thing is we never heard chains, and I was so satisfied with the pull I could have cared less if it parked, aced, or skipped in the lake because I knew I threw it perfect and couldn't have done better.

Jake had a rough hole and after he threw a couple of throws we finally got within sight of the basket but I still didn't see. He just walked over and gave me a huge high 5 and I thought, hmm "he is handling these shanks well". Then I looked up, saw it, and am still smiling!

Basket is at the bottom of the hill to the left.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacewarf View Post
~snip~
Nice! For some reason, an Ace with an MVP disc just feels better.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Nice! For some reason, an Ace with an MVP disc just feels better.
Not to mention with my single favorite disc in the world! Definitely my most satisfying ace to date!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
I have a white 170g Amp that flies more stable than my 175g Volt. BUT I also have a lime 175g Amp that's a nice, loooooong turnover disc. In my experience, white MVP has been screwy--at least in drivers.
Spent a little time out in an open area throwing some discs today, my amp is definitely understable. I must have been completely butchering my throws with it beforehand.

The volts flip up flat and go straight, while my amp with turnover and go right quite a while before coming back.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 13
Soo. I'm hoping for some input from MVP throwers wiser than I. I have a love / hate relationship with my volt. I want it to be a great go to line shaper with a little turn and a little fade but what I usually get is dead straight with a huge lateral fade. More fade than my very domey star teebird. Or if I try a slight hyzer I get a big sweeping line but it ends up very short. I have thrown a few drives with though where it just rides this tight straight line 6 feet off the ground for what seems like forever. I guess I just want to know if there is something different to throwing this disc well?

For reference, I am gonna estimate that I throw between 250-275 average with my River (169g), *Teebird (165) and Volt (171. On a good throw). And I can get my 169 flow a good deal further on most throws. I hear the river is nose angle sensitive so I feel like if it was nose issues I'd be having them with my river too but my river turns on a flat throw and flips up from a hyzer. Also I do use the MVP mids and putters but have only thrown the volt for their drivers. Really I'd just like the volt to be the in between disc for my river and teebird. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thirty View Post
I guess I just want to know if there is something different to throwing this disc well?
Mike C and Discspeed will be able to break it down for you better than me, but...

The Volt (like all MVP discs) takes a little somethin' to get a good flight. It needs decent spin to fly well--and the gyro has a habit of locking it on lines. At the distances you're throwing, the flight path sounds pretty accurate actually. I throw my Volts 350-375, and get the turn/fade that makes the Volt so awesome. At your power level, a heavy Amp may actually fly closer to what you want.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacewarf View Post
Got one today!
Nice ace man! Welcome to the Volt ace club

@41thirty

At your D you might not see much turn out of them. Like Phenn said an Amp might be more what you want, or if you can find a lighter Volt or a flippy one. You might find this video interesting. Its me and my friend testing out Volts when I first got them...he throws closer to your distance while I was putting them in the circle on 350-400 foot holes.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Vid isnt showing up for me so here is a link in case I messed something up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8lYYw7jPI

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Nice ace man! Welcome to the Volt ace club :
Thanks bro! Can say with confidence it won't be the last.

What I can say as someone with about 400 power with volt and some oat issues is that the volt handles oat and powering down very very well. It gives me a lot of confidence.

I throw my volt anywhere from 250 (sometimes depending on the line) to 400. No other disc can handle such a wide range of power. At 250 it is a dead straight, oat proof , bee line. At 400 it is a dependable s turn that loses all it's glide once fade starts which prevents errant drift to the right. It's my favorite disc and its nice to be settled.
Closed Thread