Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Eh, soft IONs worked fine for me in -4 degrees Fahrenheit, just as good as any other discs. I just need to focus more on keeping the disc dry and my hand in good working order (warm enough), same as when I'm playing in the rain.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
I had no issues with any of my MVP discs in 40 degree weather this last weekend
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Found a Vector today on the course. No ink, broken in. It's already in the bag. Straight and long. This makes me a little afraid of the Axis because this is how I imagined it would fly. How much more understable is this Axis compared to the Vector?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
I am not sure how much more understable the Axis is in comparison to the Vector as I have not thrown a Vector. However, I did throw an Axis around in the field today for about 40 minutes and man that thing is Dead Balls straight with very little low speed fade.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 35
Took the Axis out for a round on Sunday and was very impressed. That thing is seriously straight with nice glide. I was concerned about the weight compared to what I usually throw but it wasn't much of an issue. I can't wait for the lighter weight ones to be available.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
i played a quick round today in 50 degrees and that ion was slicker than any other disc i've ever owned. after half a round i switched back to the grip pure.

Same thing with the Axis' i got. I switched back to GL cores and began hitting fairways again.
Hmm. Well, I have the Core in the bag to compete directly with the Axis, although it will probably compete until I get an Axis in ~170 where I have the Core unless the 179 Axis continues to impress me for its weight being so much higher than normal; but I don't think grip will be the deciding factor; at least when it comes to comparing it to GL plastic.

Maybe it will be as I have not had a lot of experience with the clearish plastic, just the Axis I've had now for just a little bit. Most of my experience was with the old opaque Ions and my grip all comes from just under the rim which used to seem tacky. Now you have me curious to go out and look at my Axis at lunch.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Hmm. Well, I have the Core in the bag to compete directly with the Axis, although it will probably compete until I get an Axis in ~170 where I have the Core unless the 179 Axis continues to impress me for its weight being so much higher than normal; but I don't think grip will be the deciding factor; at least when it comes to comparing it to GL plastic.

Maybe it will be as I have not had a lot of experience with the clearish plastic, just the Axis I've had now for just a little bit. Most of my experience was with the old opaque Ions and my grip all comes from just under the rim which used to seem tacky. Now you have me curious to go out and look at my Axis at lunch.
fingers under the rim, check. no problem there. It's where my thumb meets the flight plate that has very little friction compared to other plastics...... at 40-50 degrees.

I just picked up my axis now after leaving in my 75 degree apartment all day and it is tacky and grippy with a mild amount of flex.

*shrug*

My personal preference is to throw other plastic in these lower temp ranges.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Yeah, I did go check at lunch yesterday, and forgot to post as I have become obsessed with flash and little flakes of plastic that feel similar to flash but are from wear to where I forgot to post by the time I got done with my sander block (which is so light, it feels almost like a sponge) cleaning up my most beloved and abused pro Leo and a couple of my newcomers.

Anyway. The plastic does feel sort of slick. Didn't seem like the old opaque Ions were that slick; especially where the plastic would curve just under the rim. (BTW, that curve under the Ion was actually my favorite part of that disc) I'm not sure how much that will come into play in practice on my throw but I am bound to find out this weekend as it is supposed to be really nice out. Close to 80 in October and I sweat a lot so; that should be a good test. Still will be curious when I go to play in sub-zero degree weather this winter as well if it does manage to win the spot in my bag.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 25
My rounds on last Friday and Sat am were on wet courses at about 55-60 degrees. I seemed to do okay. True, the plastic wasn't as grippy as it is when its 75 and dry, but neither was anything else in my bag.

The Proton plastic, to me, seems very similar to Opto...I had grip issues with the Core, but I think it was a combination of plastic and inner slant. The Axis and Vector seem to have a small slant, not even as much as a Buzzz, though, plus the "bead" is a bit more defined. This was probably what helped me. Also, the overmold helps slightly in that it slips less against my palm and helps with the thumb (I think...)

Time will tell, winter could be a challenge...I made it through last winter with a Z Buzzz, though X and Pro are my favorite cold weather plastics.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 9
Had a chance to throw my new soft Ion yesterday in the rain and about 50 degree weather. It was incredibly grippy (when dried with a towel), and didn't seem to fly any differently than my medium. That's good news!

I especially liked the way it just dropped when hitting a tree. The medium didn't get kicked out overly far either so I wasn't sure I'd be impressed with the soft, but I have to admit it does better in the woods. Also feels a bit better in the hand, but I'm worried what it'll feel like in 80-90 degree weather. I'll probably throw this thing during the Fall/Winter months and the medium more during the Spring/Summer months... Who knows, maybe I'll just carry both...
Closed Thread