Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 1
The core extends into the overmold in a T shape so its entirely possible.
My vector shows signs of separation between the core and the overmold but due to the way the core extends into it I have no worries whatsoever about my disc falling apart.
http://www.quadcitydiscgolf.com/Ion2.jpg
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Violets caddy; 01-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
I'm aware of how the pieces key into each other, but it has also been explained that the two plastics are actually fused together during the molding process I'm just curious about the possibility of a complete seperation of the overmold. Seems unlikely to me.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incunabula View Post
I'm coming from a Lat64 pure and looking for something with a less substantial fade at the very end of the flight. Am I to understand that the eclipse Ion would be a good replacement? Love the pure's flight, just crashes at the end.
A 2nd run MIGHT work as you would like, but no guarantees.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 1
Without actually seeing a disc produced I can only guess but since I'm in the same line of work I think its a fairly accurate guess.
The core is molded first, the a primer is applied to it everywhere the overmold is going to touch.
The overmold is then injected around the core and a chemical bond is made.
Even the best primer has a breaking/release point where the stress is too much for it to handle.
So yeah that's basically it, no fusion just chemicals. Like industrial strength elmers glue made specifically to bond plastics together
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
A 2nd run MIGHT work as you would like, but no guarantees.
Don't really want to get attached to a disc that will be difficult, or expensive to find and replace. I was really hoping to get another MVP disc in the bag. I love my vector, but it sounds like my putting style really just doesn't jive with the ion. Thanks for the advice guys...really appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Don't really want to get attached to a disc that will be difficult, or expensive to find and replace. I was really hoping to get another MVP disc in the bag. I love my vector, but it sounds like my putting style really just doesn't jive with the ion. Thanks for the advice guys...really appreciate it.
They aren't hard to find, nor are they more expensive than the current runs of ions...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
They aren't hard to find, nor are they more expensive than the current runs of ions...
It seems to be for me. Most online retailers don't denote the run outside of first, and there are no physical MVP dealers anywhere close to me. Am I missing a source I should know about? I'd at least like to try one.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Without actually seeing a disc produced I can only guess but since I'm in the same line of work I think its a fairly accurate guess.
The core is molded first, the a primer is applied to it everywhere the overmold is going to touch.
The overmold is then injected around the core and a chemical bond is made.
Even the best primer has a breaking/release point where the stress is too much for it to handle.
So yeah that's basically it, no fusion just chemicals. Like industrial strength elmers glue made specifically to bond plastics together
Intersting, I was unaware of this primer process. I had always assumed that the "chemical" bond was basically the process of the hot overmold slightly melting the core where it touches, thus fusing them together.

I wonder, could a complete separation of the overmold to the core be due to a lack of priming agent?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
It seems to be for me. Most online retailers don't denote the run outside of first, and there are no physical MVP dealers anywhere close to me. Am I missing a source I should know about? I'd at least like to try one.
The market place. Or http://www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.c...er-p-5749.html
Closed Thread