Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

View Poll Results: Huntsville vs. Bowling Green: better Top 3 courses?
BG 3 60.00%
H-ville 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Mini Road Trip 1/28.. From Nashville, KY or AL?

I am accompanying my friend to scoop his dog from his ex in Nashville and the swap is going to occur on the late nite (1-3am-ish) when she gets off work.

So instead of getting a hotel, we want to drive and arrive at a course in the morning - the hope is to be close to a few solid courses and get in at least 3 before driving back to Memphis.

So really, we have narrowed it down to Hunstville, AL vs. Bowling Green, KY. I know BG has a high concentration of courses, but we are looking for the best of the best, the cream of the crop.. SO, Hville vs. BG, who has the better top 3 course??

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by cmcolomb; 01-27-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 215
That's a tough one. The best three courses in Huntsville are probably Indian Springs, Monte Sano and UAH. And the best three in Bowling Green are Holler in the Hills, Bowling Green Technical College (haven't played there yet but I've heard very good things) and then then either Lovers or Kereiakes.

I don't think you can lose, so I'd suggest looking at each lineup of courses and see which set of courses sounds more fun to you.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks Adam, good input. The brilliant thought popped into my head to check the weather in the respective cities, that may end up being the determining factor.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 231
Adam, you really think Lovers is better than Hobson Grove?

If you're going to go to BG, start out at Holler In The Hills. Its north of town so you'll get to work your way back down to town and all the food establishments in town. Plus if you haven't played Holler before, you'll probably want to play it twice. Unless the grass has grown in the fairways under all the snow, the Tech course will be a muddy nightmare. My suggestion is Holler x2, Kereiakis and Hobson Grove. I'm in BG for the time being so shoot me a PM if you want to meet up for any of the above rounds and I'll try to make it out to meet you, work depending.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 50
Holler is a private course, so make sure to contact Howie to let him know you are going to play (if you decide to go with the BG). There is a gate at the entrance, so you just want verify that you can get in to play at Holler. BG Technical is a nice layout, but be aware that the course is not officially open, and it is still very rough around the edges. I was there about 2wks ago, there were no tee signs yet, still a lot of items cleared out of the fairways laying right at the edge, still pretty muddy/sloppy, and parking near 1 is closed currently due to construction, you have to park at the tech college near hole 3/4 or 6 and start from there, plus no tee pad currently on one, waiting for construction to finish so that they don't have to move it if needed for construction. If you play here, print the course map from the "links" tab to help with navigation.

Lovers is a nice course, very well kept (probably one of the best kept courses i've played), but is fairly open. Hobson is a shorter, but more technical course layout. Both are good courses, Keriekas is good too!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

great, GREAT feedback - thanks friends!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeman View Post
Adam, you really think Lovers is better than Hobson Grove?
I'm not sure, Hobson is the one course in BG I haven't played (well, two if you count BG Tech). It seems like a pretty good course from reading about it though.

Are there any Huntsville guys on here that want to weigh in on their good courses?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 30
Nashville has a lot of great course of its own. Cedar Hill is probably the best course in TN, and 7 Oaks is a great wooded course. Then there is Sharp Springs in Smyrna, Cedars of Lebanon in Lebanon, Liberity in Franklin, Crocket in Brentwood, and Barfield in Murfreesboro. You can definatly get your as much golf as you can handle right here in Nashville!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantzsax View Post
Nashville has a lot of great course of its own. Cedar Hill is probably the best course in TN, and 7 Oaks is a great wooded course. Then there is Sharp Springs in Smyrna, Cedars of Lebanon in Lebanon, Liberity in Franklin, Crocket in Brentwood, and Barfield in Murfreesboro. You can definatly get your as much golf as you can handle right here in Nashville!
I agree with you and we have both played a sampling of the great courses in Nashville. However, referring to the OP, we will be in Nashville around 3am and, instead of getting a hotel - we plan on driving til it's daylight and the closest venue would be BG or H'ville.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Any Huntsvillians out there with an opinion??