Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Ski Hill Blast versus Rolling Undulating Terrain
Ski Hill 1 5.56%
Undulating Terrain 17 94.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Big Blast Elevation versus Undulating Terrain

Having a hard time when people talk about a course with plenty of elevation change. Are we talking about big throws off of cliffs like Ski Resorts and off of huge cliffs or are we talking about rolling interesting terrain like small banks, big boulders, rolling hills etc. More importantly what makes for funner disc golf?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 AM
* Ace Member *

I prefer the more varied smaller undulations on a course. I think it makes for better disc golf. I thought of this today after playing the mighty Campgaw Ski Hill where I got to watch my long distance driver turn spectacularly and then fade fade fade into all of that open space. I don't think we have a disc that can really handle 1000 ft of rapid elevation shift....though it is spectacular and fun to see that view and make that throw. I also thought it was a lot of work to get up to make just one incredible throw. Gasp! I later played the rolling little undulations of Wolfe Woods at Brakewell Warwick....what a blast throwing up and down all that amazing up and down yet simpler smaller terrain. Seems to fit most discs and make for more enjoyable disc golf IMO. Has anyone else thought ski hill throws while amazing fun are a bit "overrated/gimmicky" and don't make for better disc golf?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
I haven't played any courses with cliff shots but I do really like a course that plays up and down as well as back and forth.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
There are a couple holes at Beaver Ranch that have extreme elevation changes, both uphill and down hill. Goodness if hole one isn't stright up into the air. Holes 17 and 20 are really fun down hill shots too, though 17 can then go back up the hill to the long pin placement. I like the fact that although they appear to be more open on the downhill they are anything but. 20 obviously gives you a narrow gap to get through first. I think the drastic elevation change is great if it is coupled with interesting features like this. I would rather a course give me more trouble if I miss a shot on a long downhill hole. At the same time for pure joy of watching a disc fly I would rather it be completely open and all down hill.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 14
George Wilson park In mishawaka IN...the back 9 is all hills..I love it!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Both if you can get it. The more variety the better. Water,elevation,woods,it all adds to the character of a course.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Seems that my hunch was right, undulating terrain is more popular but less glamorous than Sky Golf....thanks everyone.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Great question and poll! It gets expensive (lost discs) and time consuming (climbing and looking for lost discs) and tiring to practice enough to get really proficient at throwing huge downhill shots.

Real disc golf is about risk/reward and at a certain point in length and elevation drop where nobody can really control their disc.....and therefore can not really make good risk/reward decisions. IMO, finesse steep downhill throws are a much better test of DG skilz.

As much as I love downhill ski slope shots for the fun-factor, you normally have to play multiple uphill shots and/or holes to get there....and I dislike a lot of uphill throws.

$0.03

Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
A mix is good. i like big hills, plus it gives lazy people a workout which is good for them. Big elevation is fun as well because it makes for exciting shots for everyone, both up hill and downhill. Any elevation is good though so I cant say I like one more then another. I hear people say that they dont like uphill cause they cant throw far but to me its all about course management and downhill shots can be more challenging at times!