Old 03-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Default 93EX's Newbie bag

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG since October, Ultimate 4ish years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some touch FH.
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Polecat: 200/220'; Ghost: ???? (never measured); Gazelle: 250/280' Leopard: 280/300'

Bag:

Putters:
Polecat DX- in the circle putts, floaty upshots
Serpent Fossil- longer putts, short straight drives (forehand and backhand), upshots I don't want to glide past the basket
Scale Armor- overstable short drives and headwind putts
Woodchuck- understable short drives, turnover upshots, upshots were roll away equals doom

Mids:
Ghosts- Main overstable mid (I have one in Pinnacle and I just got one in Gravity)
Caribou- Stable/understable mid

Drivers:
Champion Glow Gazelle- slightly overstable driver/ not terrible headwind driver
DX Gazelle- straight flying driver (slight fade at the end)
Viper DX- beefy driver/ bigger headwind driver
Leopard DX- understable driver

Utility-
Stego- short crazy hyzer backhand and forehand, controlled forehand roller
Sonic- touch forehands, straddle putts, short backhand rollers, touch overhands, etc
Raptor- crazy wind discs. Very very rarely used or carried. I don't really have the arm for it yet. Don't often carry it.

So I think I am mostly happy with my bag. I currently only have a Double NutSac so I just choose from these discs depending on the coarse. I have spent way to much time messing around with discs rather then focusing on form so now I am starting to focus on form. I have decided to go to slow discs for the most part (not that I was ever throwing fast disc. The fastest disc I have used was a Valk). The Gazelle has become my main driver (I have a Star Gazelle on the way as well and I want to try out GStar and Pro Gazelles). I am really happy I found the Ghost as it is the better Roc IMO (better plastic choices less confusing) and I love my putter setup.

What I don't like about the bag
The Caribou- I don't dislike this disc. It is a great disc but I don't think it really offers enough different from the Ghost and I want to start cycling Ghosts into this spot. I am hoping the Gravity Ghost will take over this spot. That being said I want to try the Comet again. Even if it doesn't make the bag I know it is a great form disc. The only thing I am not sure about is the plastic. I have tried Pro-D, ESP and Z from Discraft in various discs and I didn't like any of them. I have handled both Big Z and Ti and liked those though. Which of those would you suggest I get Comet in?
Turnover mid- I want to try out a more understable mid then the Caribou. I am trying to decide between the Meteor, Stratus, Stingray, M5 or Tursas. Which would you suggest?
Viper DX- I love the Viper but the DX Viper seems to lose stability quicker then any other DX disc I own by far. I got a Champ Viper from the Proshop but that is too overstable. I have a Star Viper from the Proshop on the way and I have a Star Whippet sitting at home if that doesn't work.
Leopard- I like this disc but I would like to get a better plastic. What plastic flies most like a fresh DX? Star, Echostar or GStar?

TLDR: What plastic Comet? Which more understable mid (Meteor, Stratus, Stingray, M5, Tursas)? What plastic Leopard?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by 93EXCivic; 03-31-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH

The X Comet is the Comety-est. Ti is beefy for a Comet, and I think Big Z has had weird domes. Flat Comets aren't very Comety.

Pro Leopard is what I'd suggest, but your DX Gazelle will probably get to that turny slot eventually.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Oh, and if you don't like the Viper that much, I'd suggest trying a Banshee. I used to throw them before I switched to Vipers. My DX Vipers haven't beaten in that fast though...
Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 18

Like the simplicity.

As for the Comet, I have a few and I like the ESP and Big-Z the best. The Big-Z has a nice dome and is the most stable and my ESP is pretty flat and on the understable side, I like it though for turnovers, hyzer flips and forehand annies. Lots of guys hate the flat Comets, but for me it's take the roll of the understable mid until one of my Roc's breaks in. Meteor's are nice, but I find them too unpredictable. Never thrown a Stratus.

At your power level, you could try a max weight champion Teebird in place of the DX Viper. If you like the Gazelle, get a DX Teebird too. they bomb when they season! If a Champ Teebird isn't enough, go Banshee.

For the Leopard, Pro plastic is a great DX replacement. Can't go wrong with a star either.

Best of luck
Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH

I haven't thrown a tursas, but I think the stingray is probably the flippiest mid you listed. I tested a stingray, salient antidote, M5, and flying squirrel awhile back. I could have honestly picked any one of them for that slot, but I ended up with the M5 in 400g because the plastic is great. Underrated disc.

One idea might be to move up to a leopard3 because I fear you'll see a lot of overlap between your flippy mid, comet, and leopard.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

Default 93EX's Newbie bag

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have a worn Champ Banshee that I was given as my first disc (terrible first disc) but I have grown to like it. I just liked the feel and flight of the Viper more. I am amazed at how quickly they have been beating in. I am on my third DX in two months but my DX Gazelle and when I threw DX Rocs they both held up way better then the Viper. The Banshee is probably my third choice beefy fairway if the Star Viper doesn't work out. Basically I love Viper but they just aren't holding up.

I had an ESP Comet when I first started playing but lost it. I never really liked that plastic. I am leaning towards Big-Z. I am not sure it will make the bag or not but I figure it can't hurt to have one around. I'd like to cycle Ghosts into this spot on day.

Thanks for the suggestion on Pro Leopard. As far Leopard3, I have thought about that or a Patriot. I'd like to cycle Gazelles in that spot on day. I hadn't thought about overlapping with my flippy mid but that could be a problem. I am getting a lot more distance with my Leopard then my mid right now. So the Leopard is kind of a temporary place holder I think.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH

Yeah, I think of Leopards as a driver, but in actuality they're not way longer than my mids by any means, so I'm going to test the L3 in that spot now and pair it with Teebirds. I like DX leopards, but I like Pro more. That's just me.

Can't go wrong with a Comet if you find it in a plastic you like. I'm in the no flatties camp, but whatever works for you.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Yeah, I think of Leopards as a driver, but in actuality they're not way longer than my mids by any means, so I'm going to test the L3 in that spot now and pair it with Teebirds. I like DX leopards, but I like Pro more. That's just me.

Can't go wrong with a Comet if you find it in a plastic you like. I'm in the no flatties camp, but whatever works for you.

I'll have to try to put my hands on a Leo3. My one worry is so far the 3s I have tried have left the bag very quickly (Mako3 and Roc3). I generally prefer a bit of dome.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Three in two months? I still have my first Viper in the bag and it's been almost two and a half years Granted it's not as overstable as it once was, but I rarely throw the fresh one I have bagged with it.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
Three in two months? I still have my first Viper in the bag and it's been almost two and a half years Granted it's not as overstable as it once was, but I rarely throw the fresh one I have bagged with it.

Do you play a lot of wooded coarses?

One of mine spike hyzered into the road. The other has hit a number of trees hard. There are two holes (hole 5 and 8 Braun Springs) at my favorite coarse that are prefect for me with an overstable driver but if you get the line off at all it is smacking a tree (or two). I generally play that coarse two or three times a week. The Viper that smacked the road is a beautiful straight flyer though. I am often tempted to put it in the bag but it overlaps a lot with the Gazelle. The other one flies like my Champ Glow Gazelle and my third doesn't have a lot of rounds on it.

I am confused by how much quicker these DX discs are beating in then others and sad because I really do love the Viper.

Haven't their been a L and X mold of the Viper though?