Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
So it's been a while and here is what I'm going to do.

Putters.
The Anode and Ion blew me away. If it weren't for them I would be set on the challenger now and forever. However I am struggling to figure out which I prefer more, the Ion or Anode. Anode reminds me a whole lot of a Warlock but better at putting. Putting with the Anode is really unlike anything I've ever used. But I think in the long run the Ion is going to be a better choice all around... I like the stability of it and the light weight ones are kinda like the Anode... but for some reason I just trust putters with good beads (KC Aviar, Challenger, Wizard). Rattler stays.

Mids
After two rounds of the Anode I feel that the Roc Comet combo has finally run its course. I always went back to them as I've tried other discs but non of those other discs made me think "yeah, I don't need one or both of those anymore." So that leaves me in this position and the options are Buzzz, Axis, Vector. Not all together. I am thinking Domey piggy Vector, flat/light Vector and some kind of turnover mid at that range. Mike says the Axis and ESP Comets are very similar but being champy style plastic I feel like it would take eons to get an Axis to fly like my good TP or ESP comets... So what kind of turnover/anhyzer mid could work here? The other option is to go for Buzzz's. Something like an ESP or Ti for turnovers, Z Buzzz for everything else and then a domey vector. If MVP made some dang light weight Vectors there would be no question what I would go for... but alas non yet.

Driver
Right now I am using some Cyclones to practice using drivers and getting nose down. This summer I will be bringing drivers back in and at full force. I am also thinking of snagging an XL to learn with but I want to work my way towards Avengers. They're just a really versatile disc that I want to take advantage of.

So... thoughts?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Soft anodes win out over medium anodes and Ions.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Did the soft anode give you a slight boost in stability that made the decision easier? I feel like that's what you were really looking for.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I love the medium. But the softs do just give that tick more that I was looking for. That and they do feel better in my hand and they are nicer to putt with. Even though they are "soft" they aren't floppy. They're more like a really beat in DX aviar. So they maintain their structure but feel great.

Now I am off to hunt for some vectors that I can enjoy.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Bag

Putters:
Rattler - I lost my mark ellis rattler in a pond... it is a friends pond and we know where it is at so I will get it later.
168 Soft Ion - awesome for putting, approach, and driving. Primary putter
I might switch to Ions... I like the Anode, I just kind of want the reliable fade of an Ion.

Mids
Since the anode I feel like I have been able to knock out my Roc/Comet combo. I will still hold onto them but I know that the anode does both of their jobs. So crazy how one disc can do so much.
BUT! I recently snagged an Axis and Buzzz. That Buzzz is one killer disc. Really makes me feel like I don't need a fairway driver. The Axis... the verdict is still out on. I hear everyone say the anode and Axis are super similar but I just don't know yet. Time will tell.

Driver
2 TP Cyclones - I am using these to transition to nose down throws. I get just a bit more distance with it over my Buzzz and Axis but it keeps growing foot by foot.

I tend to use my discs like this Putter >300, Mids >350, Drivers >400
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
I don't understand why you're not using faster discs. Your whole last post makes no sense to me. Anodes replacing fresh Rocs or beat Comets? Buzzz eliminating the need for fairway drivers? If you can get even close to 400' with a Cyclone and 350' with a Buzzz, it's time to add something faster. Throw a fricken Sidewinder or some other flippy speed 9 in there and work on bombing some hyzer flips. Those are the easiest shots to get nose down anyway. You could easily get another 50'+ out of that line, and add a whole new shot to your bag. Even something faster like an Archon or Pro Wraith should be fine for someone who can approach 400' with a slow fairway driver like the Cyclone.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

^^

I know, I love it! After I'm feeling good with the Cyclone I am actually going to jump up to the Pred. I just wanted something to practice nose down with before jumping right to the Pred as it is a very nose down dependent disc.

Ultimately my bag will look like this.

Putter
Rattler
Andoe/Ion

Mid
Axis/Vector/Buzzz

Fairway
Preds and Avengers (almost bought some avengers to start using but I had to restrain myself)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Just out of curiosity, what were your distances at before discing down? Also, how long have you been throwing cyclones mids and putters (ie, how long have you been disced down)?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 23
There is going to be some overlap with the axis and buzzz. I found them pretty similar, it obviously depends on which plastics and wear. I would suggest a fuse for the understable/turnover slot. It would fit in there much better IMHO.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
There is going to be some overlap with the axis and buzzz. I found them pretty similar, it obviously depends on which plastics and wear. I would suggest a fuse for the understable/turnover slot. It would fit in there much better IMHO.
I'm thorwing them to pick one to use. I would have Rocs and Comets in my bag for mids if the Anode wasn't so useful. So it is between the Axis and Buzzz to see which one works better. Both are really really nice.