Disc Golf Store
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
Just out of curiosity, what were your distances at before discing down? Also, how long have you been throwing cyclones mids and putters (ie, how long have you been disced down)?
I've been discsed down way to long...

2 years ago my bag looked like this

Putters - 200'
Summit
Ridge

Mids 240-260
Z Comet
Really beat in KC Roc

Drivers 290 (310 at the very best)
Tl, Wraith, Katana, Boss, Sidewinder, Banshee, Max, Teerex and maybe another driver.

Quickly after discing down it looked like this for a long while

Putter 270
Putter of the week. I dropped the Summit and Ridge and tried KC Aviars, Wizards, Warlock, Ringer, and finally Challengers. Challengers are solid.

Mids 300-310
Comet Roc Combo

This summer my distance has changed. And the bag is changing. I have killer snap, my arm speed is getting better, and I am getting nose down with decent height.

But discing down helps like you wouldn't believe. It is disheartening at some points to know you can throw your putters and mids as far as a driver until you start to get that nose down.

I purposefully took my time in going slow.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Interesting. Thanks a lot for the detailed response!

I have "disced down" for the most part for a while now. I carry some big guns but I only throw them for fun as second shots. For the most part its river, tl, fd, pd, vision. Those are my "drivers".

I'm super pumped about using warship vector fuse for mids because I can drive most of those to almost 300.

However, I am not a putter driver. It just doesn't tickle my fancy. Any advice as to why I should drive a putter more than just a mid?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

I do it because a lot of courses in my area are short. As I understand it a lot of Pros will still throw a mid on shorter holes still because of the grip and control you get from a mid over a putter. I do it and recommend it mostly for practice purposes. If I were playing in competitions often I would probably go for driving with mids at shorter distances still.

The primary advantage is cleaning up oat, getting good snap, and learning to finesse the disc. That way you have more control when you crank up your armspeed for drivers.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Seasoned base plastic putters will turn over at slower speeds than any other disc. It's pretty difficult to range understable midranges inside of 250', so when I need a shot that finishes right, a DX Aviar usually gets the call (unless a forehand would do the job better).
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Right now putting with challengers. It is a great disc, going to finally pick up an ion I like to check it out. Not a fan of premium plastic putters though.

Comet for form and really wild anhyzers
Also learning to throw the Buzzz, it is very driver like.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Putters: 280'-310'
Neutron Ion
Pro D Rattler

Mids:350'-370'
Z Buzzz
Neutron Tangent, Axis, and Tenson

Driver:
Neutron Amp and Volt
Maybe the Dynamic Disc fairway...

I was debating between the Judge, Challenger, and Ion. I have decided to just commit to a Neutron Ion, I will just drive, approach, and putt with it until it is nice and beat in to being a great putting putter. I'll buy another one later. May try a neutron anode later, have some soft protons that I don't really like. I have the D Rattler because I like making catch disc shots from time to time.

Mids:
I really like the Tangent and Tensor. They cover most my mid shots and are really controllable. I have the buzzz and the axis to see which one I like most. I like having one as a longer mid to fill in between mids and control distance.

Drivers:
Amp and Volt figuring them out. I have TP cyclones that I am working out as well. I want to try the DD drivers. Learning to move into driver territory now.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
The DD Escape is sneaky long - it's as long as if not longer than the PD's I carry. I feel it may overlap with the Volt in terms of the flight path but I suspect the Escape has more distance potential.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Putter
Neutron Ion - I use it for most everything, a very nice disc
Pro D Rattler - used for catch disc shots, utility disc

Mids
Comets - understable discs
Neutron Axis - primary mid, really cool disc
Tensor - overstable hog