Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 7
Talking RHBH Breakthrough

Bought a 172 DX Wraith today. I've been wanting a wraith for a while and it's payday so... good times. Anyway I immediately took it to a big empty field to practice with it a bit and I wanted to try my RHBH drives on it.

Recently I've been watching a ton of Nate Doss videos on YouTube and I've basically picked up his form short the Xstep (for now). I've also switched from a three finger to a two finger grip (previously had a lot of problems grip-locking the disc).

It was a thing of beauty... long and dead straight and for my RHBH drives that is a HUGE improvement. I've been primarily a RHFH player, but now with this in my toolbox we'll see how the game goes. Without a Xstep I was matching my average FH distance WITH a xstep.

Mostly posting this to say that if there is anyone else who the RHBH drive is eluding DON'T GIVE UP just keep at it and it'll click. Can't wait til tomorrow morning to go out and try this on my other discs!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
Good for you, littleshoe! Wish I could have a breakthrough...I'm going to check out the Nate Doss videos.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
FH with an x step? I'm confused
Old 04-25-2009, 01:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 61
Yeah, Wraiths are great. I played dubs with a guy who asked if I would sell him mine, I said no. He says, "Yeah, nobody ever wants to sell their Wraith."
Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 45
Congratulations! I had a recent breakthrough of my own from watching one of the pros. I am primarily RHBH and use a X Step and my Max D was about 375'. From watching and then copying Dave Feldberg's Hop Step, my Max D shot up to approximately 425' almost over night. Amazing what can happen when you make one change and your game takes a huge leap forward.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 50
Congrats on the breakthrough! I think if you'll get use to the RHBH and work with it, you may eventually prefer it to the forehand. I can't throw forehand at all, so I only throw it when it is my only option.

As far as the Wraith, it is one of my favorite drivers. Someone gave me a ProWraith about 2yrs ago, and it has been my go-to driver since. It is starting to get real flippy on me from all the wear, but I've got a replacement on the way from Disc Golf Center.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshoe View Post
Bought a 172 DX Wraith today. I've been wanting a wraith for a while and it's payday so... good times. Anyway I immediately took it to a big empty field to practice with it a bit and I wanted to try my RHBH drives on it.

Recently I've been watching a ton of Nate Doss videos on YouTube and I've basically picked up his form short the Xstep (for now). I've also switched from a three finger to a two finger grip (previously had a lot of problems grip-locking the disc).

It was a thing of beauty... long and dead straight and for my RHBH drives that is a HUGE improvement. I've been primarily a RHFH player, but now with this in my toolbox we'll see how the game goes. Without a Xstep I was matching my average FH distance WITH a xstep.

Mostly posting this to say that if there is anyone else who the RHBH drive is eluding DON'T GIVE UP just keep at it and it'll click. Can't wait til tomorrow morning to go out and try this on my other discs!
Im sorry but I don't understand your referrence to a "three finger grip" or for that matter a "two finger grip". I've never driven without all four fingers in the rim. Never thought about removing fingers. I'm assuming this has helped you and maybe I should give this a shot.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
I always use 3 fingers to drive. I can't use 4. On my approach shots, I use two fingers. This causes the disc to slight hyzer, and I shoot just right of the basket, and it usually plops right in. You saw me approach that one day we played, and you saw it work.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 19
Being able to throw BH will make L-turning shots seem so much more natural. I personally find it more difficult to get a FH shot to turnover predictably than to simply throw a flat BH with a disc that will hyzer for me (wraith, crush, wasp, etc.).

Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
FH with an x step? I'm confused
agreed but way to go on your breakthrough