Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringDgLover View Post
Im sorry but I don't understand your referrence to a "three finger grip" or for that matter a "two finger grip". I've never driven without all four fingers in the rim. Never thought about removing fingers. I'm assuming this has helped you and maybe I should give this a shot.
Check out this article:
http://discgolfreview.com/resources/...ttoripit.shtml
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
*still waiting for mentioned breakthrough*
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 13
Switching to a three finger grip gave me an easy 30' bump right off the bat. I used to throw about 230'-250' on average but now I'm zeroing in on 300' as my next evolution in my drive. I wish I would have tried it earlier as it seems to me you need less finesse with grip pressure with less fingers on the disc. Although I figured this one out on my own, this is a great tip for beginners like me who struggle with grip lock or can't get the proper rip and end up releasing the disc by letting go. As for a "breakthrough", I'm sure the OP meant 'personal' breakthrough.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
Switching to a three finger grip gave me an easy 30' bump right off the bat. I used to throw about 230'-250' on average but now I'm zeroing in on 300' as my next evolution in my drive. I wish I would have tried it earlier as it seems to me you need less finesse with grip pressure with less fingers on the disc. Although I figured this one out on my own, this is a great tip for beginners like me who struggle with grip lock or can't get the proper rip and end up releasing the disc by letting go. As for a "breakthrough", I'm sure the OP meant 'personal' breakthrough.
Very cool that you found something to make that much of a difference in your game! I had exactly the opposite experience with my grip. I switched from a 3 finger grip to a 4 finger grip and added 20-30' without very much loss in accuracy, and now that I've been practicing it, I throw much longer and with more accuracy than before. It really is about trying different things until you find what works for you.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 147
Just my opinion but I think a lot of improvements after a small change in grip or disc selection could be attributed to overcoming a mental block or shifting concentration allowing your unconscious to take over.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Just my opinion but I think a lot of improvements after a small change in grip or disc selection could be attributed to overcoming a mental block or shifting concentration allowing your unconscious to take over.
That's almost certainly true. I think that really applies to new putters. Every time I talk to someone who's trying out a new putter, they do really well with it the first few times out, then eventually end up back at about the level they were putting before the change.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Mental block or not, I'll take improvement any way I can get it. I found that with the three finger grip I have to worry less about the rip and I can focus on wrist/disc position to get the proper flight out of the disc. I still have yet to get proper flight consistently but every now and again I get a beautiful, albeit a short 300', flight from my leopard or valk. Next step is putting in some footwork.