Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
I tried thowing an ultimate disc yesterday.

1st shot turned right into the ground. After a while I figured out that I needed WAY less arm and much more wrist. I'm wondering if this torque is what I'm missing when I drive. I've rarely broken 300' on flat ground yet I've been told that my form is basically good.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Same thing happened when I first started trying to drive with a putter. Really showed me the value of efficiency of motion over trying to muscle a disc.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 118
I had not thrown an ultimate frisbee for awhile after getting into DG. When I did pick one up, I didn't even remember how to grip the darn thing. It tooke me a few throws to get back into the swing of throwing an ultimate disc.
My brother plays ultimate pretty often competitively and he has trouble transitioning between the two. It usually takes him about a day to go from one to the other.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 12
I had a round last week with a local pro. My form is good according to him. I suggested that he outdrives me 400 to 300 because he is 28 and strong. I am 51.He told me it wasn't strength, but arm speed. Over the weekend I started experimenting with a quicker pull. It came together yesterday. I played 3 rounds yesterday and now I am popping Roadrunners 340, Leopards 310 and best of all my BuzzFlx 240

The faster arm speed has the disc really ripping out of my hand and I am getting a lot more spin which translates to smoother flight paths. LOnger!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Yeah. People talk a whole lot about footwork, form, and getting your large back muscles into the throw, but these are all things that are ultimately directed towards building your arm speed. You can have perfect form, but someone with perfect form and a faster pull will always throw it farther.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 12
Previously, my tee pad routine was 2-3 kinda slow false throws. Not releasing, just gauging nose angle/ hyzer angle. Now I do 2-3 quick false pulls, thinking getting my hand from the reach back to the hit area as fast as possible. This seems to set the tempo ( for me) of my fast twitch muscles. Then I set the nose, take a look at my target line and go into the x step.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
1st shot turned right into the ground. After a while I figured out that I needed WAY less arm and much more wrist. I'm wondering if this torque is what I'm missing when I drive. I've rarely broken 300' on flat ground yet I've been told that my form is basically good.

Any thoughts?
I play with "lids" on the disc golf course for a change in pace.

Depending on the course I can stay very competitive because lids will teach you course management.

To get good distance with lids you need arm speed and rpms. A lid has to spin faster to stay in the air longer.

I played a C tier at Paw Paw WV with a lid (masters div.) As I walked to my tee for the 2nd round I overheard one of the guys say "Hey you forgot your bag" The other guy on the tee said "no he didn't...he played with a lid last round" Confused, the first guy said "REALLY..what did he shoot"? The first responded " duh...same as us " I beat them both and finished in 3rd out of 8 people. Paw Paw as some may know is a LONG course.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfne1 View Post
I play with "lids" on the disc golf course for a change in pace.

Depending on the course I can stay very competitive because lids will teach you course management.

To get good distance with lids you need arm speed and rpms. A lid has to spin faster to stay in the air longer.

I played a C tier at Paw Paw WV with a lid (masters div.) As I walked to my tee for the 2nd round I overheard one of the guys say "Hey you forgot your bag" The other guy on the tee said "no he didn't...he played with a lid last round" Confused, the first guy said "REALLY..what did he shoot"? The first responded " duh...same as us " I beat them both and finished in 3rd out of 8 people. Paw Paw as some may know is a LONG course.
That's crazy. What a good story. I posted this video a while back of the '79 World Frisbee Golf Championships. I think some of those guys were throwing close to 300'.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 59
I saw some guys using ultimate frisbees the other day on DG course. Not sure if they just didn't have any other discs or they thought they could use them. They looked like they had fun.

Very funny to watch.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
The very first time I saw disc golf I was sitting in my truck waiting for some friends at the park. I saw these guys step up and throw these specialized discs (tee-pad was right in front of my truck)... and since I like frisbee I watched them. I counted their throws, they both got 4's.
Because I was going to a picnic, I had a ultimate disc in the truck to toss around. So, I got out of the truck, took my floater and played the hole the two guys had just played. I got a 4.
The next day I bought some discs at the liquor store down the street. Shot an 18 over my first round and an 11 the second. The rest is history.
DSCJNKY