Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Heres another one I found in the stash just had to move it about the interwebs to get it here. I think the swirls and colors turned out nice. Really dig this technique. I found a dollar store that has giant cans of shaving cream for $1 perfect consistency right out of the can.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 97
Wow, some of you guys are getting great results with this technique! My first attempt was a total disaster, I didn't even post it.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
I have had nothing but smeared color when trying the tech. Everytime I put the disc onto the foam it just slowly sinks in cause the streaking effect. I don't understand what's going wrong. Maybe too much foam to sit the disc on
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've done a few and all turned out well enough, maybe an 1/8"-1/4" of a foam base, mix rit (same stuff I use to dye, powder already mixed with water) and shaving cream, go to town, let it sit for 10 hrs, call it a dye. Still want to get some more under my belt, can't call myself an expert, I'd ask good ol' Dan Howard about it. Wish I could be more helpful.

On that note, just finished up this one:

Can't for the life of me figure out how the grey came out with a granite speckled effect. Didn't do anything differently than use a little more rit with the grey than I usually do to try and get a little more color. Maybe that caused the shaving cream to sink faster where the liquid was a created all the pock marks, but just a guess. I'd love to be able to do this again on command, anyone know what's going on?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThingness View Post
I have had nothing but smeared color when trying the tech. Everytime I put the disc onto the foam it just slowly sinks in cause the streaking effect. I don't understand what's going wrong. Maybe too much foam to sit the disc on
I had that problem when I set something on top, I thought the disc needed to sit lower. live and learn. also had the problem when it was too hot, being in canada I doubt that's the issue for you. also if the dye is real thin it seems to dissolve the shaving cream substrate. I use a pretty deep plate/serving thing I got from the local thrift store so there is a 1/2"- 3/4" of shaving cream as a base, which seemed fairly thick to me, but it does allow it to sit in nicely
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 97
My problem has been that the colors turn out very dull, no vibrancy. On my last one, one of the colors was from liquid, and the other two from powder, and they all turned out bad.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by koogs View Post
My problem has been that the colors turn out very dull, no vibrancy. On my last one, one of the colors was from liquid, and the other two from powder, and they all turned out bad.
Post some pics, Maybe someone will be able to help
Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 15
Anybody know what happens if you were to sprinkle the powder RIT over the SC? Or should I just stick to the liquid?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Rit in both power and liquid form require water as a catalyst for the dyeing agents to work

Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 15
Thanks. Make sure you guys shake up your liquid RIT quite a bit before using it. I Opened a new bottle today and poured it all out, looked inside the bottle and out slowly came a large chunk of thick dyeing goo.