Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer's View Post
Anybody know what happens if you were to sprinkle the powder RIT over the SC? Or should I just stick to the liquid?
Some of the powder will dissolve in the SC and you get something like this, the blue on this disc is from powder
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 34
Hmmm...I just tried to marble a GL River, and the black wouldn't stick, AT ALL...tried with both liquid then powdered RIT...nothing both times...wierd. Anyone else done a GL disc with this?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 13
I've read through this post and I have not seen many mentions of acetone, has anyone been mixing this into their dyes before applying?
Would the 2 parts dye, 1 part acetone and .5 part soap dish work if then mixed with shaving cream (which you would apply to the shaving cream bed).
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 34
Dunno, give it a shot and let us know
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 36
The marbeling that I have done I used Liquid Rit, Rubbing Alcohol, and a little bit of Corn Starch to make it thicken. Has worked very well so far.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

shroom there are several effective methods for marbling a disc, each one gives a little different result.

I've taken a shaving cream and dye mix and added acetone to it, the foam basically dissoved so a failure for what I wanted. Not sure what would happen if you added a acetone/dye/detergent mix to a SC bed so would have to agree with LoPan, give it a try (and tell us what happened).
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 51
Just pulled my first attempt out of the cream. I did a flourescent yellow champion Orc, gave it two marbled lines of black(1 pack powder rit/1qt water), let it set for about 5 hrs, then tried some circles of powder green(same mix ratio as black), powder oarnge(same mix ratio as the others) and straight liquid scarlet. The scarlet didn't take at all, the green came out too dark and is indiscernable from black, and the oarnge came out pretty light. I only let the colors set for about 3 hrs though. Now, I'm trying to redo the scarlet, and have a light blue EchoStar Katana setting up as well. I should have some pics to post tomorrow, if all goes well.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Hey guys....although Im new to the site this thread caught my eye. As I was waking up this morning I was thinking about what all you have done and so far its all pretty good ideas and I like seeing the results. I began wondering if anyone has done the old auto body trick with it? my suggestion would be to lay down the shaving cream like you normally would and smooth it out, just like a auto body panel. Then put down lines of your dye because you cant cover it completely like you would a car with paint then lay a piece of plastic wrap over it and either let it fall as it will or you can have it tight and move it around by hand. This will make the marbling by some of it sticking to the plastic wrap and leaving the variances in the heaviness/lightness of the color. Then you would just lay the disc down onto it like you normally would.

If anyone has tried it, Id like to see how it came out to see if im completely off base on this and if anyone hasnt, I hope I helped.
Jon
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 51
So, I have been working on the dyeing, and am still getting nothing from the liquid scarlet RIT. I tried using it straight, and then tried mixing in some water, and still cannot get it to stick. Also, my powder green seems a bit dark for my taste. Any thoughts on how to solve these issues? Here's what I've done so far:

Last edited by Dsplayname; 05-28-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: bad links, sorry

Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Eagle Member

I have always had trouble using this method on champ (and Z) plastic, the dye just doesn't take as well.