Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cool SEKansas DG'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Howard View Post
I did sneak into KC yesterday and picked up a couple discs, unfortunately I'm working all weekend. I got the disc dyeing blues!

I'm a gonna raise a fuss
I'm a gonna raise a holler

about a workin' all winter
just to try to earn a dollar

ev'ry time I get my dyes out

and get them on the plate

my Boss says
No dice, Son,you gotta work late
nice dyes!!!

Gotta Work? NO
Gotta Go Throw! YA

DH, I been wanting to play Kanza. Maybe we can hook up.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 39
Definitely Iberian, except lets skip Kanza (short and kinda boring) and go to the glory that is Kansas City Disc Golf. If you have ever played WYCO you may want to come and give it one last go, they suspect it will be removed by early summer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM

So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc?

I think you should just make a proper write up with pictures so other people can also try this cool method.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 28
That is a really cool technique
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 9
Amazing work Dan. I've got the no plastic blues myself but hoping to correct that soon lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Thx guys, I'm hoping to see some new ones here sometime. Post your mistakes as well as your successes with any details you can share and we'll all move forward faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomie View Post
So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc.
I think you should just make a proper write up with pictures so other people can also try this cool method.
I'll try not to be a jerk here but I think all of your questions have already been answered in this thread, did you read it? It's a new process and a lot of the particulars still need to be figured out. I've left 'em in the dye mix for 3-24 hrs and I've never heated them up, always at room temp. Please feel free to experiment and then post your results, like I said, it'll help all of us move forward faster.

As for that last bit, well... OK the manual is at the binders right now, I think you are gonna love the gold leaf. I'll be sure and gift wrap one and put it under your pillow here real soon.
(I said I'll try )
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

I'll start. A success I think, except for where the vinyl pulled the black off of the stamp.

Base layer was pretty thick (how do you measure shaving cream volume???), maybe 4:1 SC to water. The dye mix was about 50:50 and rather runny, when I laid it out it was only slightly raised off the bed. Gave it ~8hrs. Next time I'll take a pic before I set the disc, here's one from earlier that I really wish I woulda had a disc to stick in it but alas...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to philman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomie View Post
So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc?

No offense man but I think you can read the thread and find all the info you need. I'm sure Dan (like everyone else) is a pretty busy guy with a life and such. How do you think we learned to dye in the first place? I know I scoured the message boards looking for info for months before I got started. If you really want to learn to do this read the thread, and do some trial and error.

BTW nice work Dan. You are really starting to perfect your technique. I got about 20 discs on my desk right now waiting for dye and I think at least one of them is going to get a Barbasol Dye bath.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 184
Does anyone think dishwashing liquid could be used instead of shaving cream? or is it too runny? I haven't dyed in a while but might try this method for something to do.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
I've used clear dishwashing liquid for painting techniques. It does thicken it from a straight acetone mix comparison. Might work, but it might also react with the shaving cream. I doubt it would blow up your kitchen, but it might deflate the shaving cream.