Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Howard View Post
Definitely Iberian, except lets skip Kanza (short and kinda boring) and go to the glory that is Kansas City Disc Golf. If you have ever played WYCO you may want to come and give it one last go, they suspect it will be removed by early summer.
Yeah that is a shame that it will be gone.. I def want to get together with some DGCR guys and play some KC courses
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Dan - been reading this thread a few times and finally decided to try this out.

Can you clue me in to how you get the dye to sit on top? Is it simply a matter of a thin tipped applicator and doing it slowly? I tried with some shampoo airline bottles, but when I put the dye on the SC bed it sinks in and colors the shaving cream.

It still worked, but my disc came out more like marble/granite patterning instead of the oil-paint swirls you have going on. I'll post a pic later.

I'm also experimenting with mixing shaving cream into the dye in a small airline shampoo bottle, then pouring it on top of the disc and letting sit. I'll post pics of that probably tomorrow after it has sat for a while.

Thanks for enlightening us all on this cool method.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
You wanna use small amounts of dye so it does not liquify the shaving foam. If you look at dans how to pics he is using a syringe to apply the dye. I've found the less dye the better in this method
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm still struggling with color intensity, every step seems to involve diluting the dye a little more but here's what I'm doing at the moment.

For the bed an SC water mix that I have yet to measure probably about 2cups SC to a half cup water, mix and adjust with more water till ya get soft peaks. When you pour it should look something like this

I'm using 4oz squeeze bottles (used to be what perm solutions came in, you might be able to pick up a bunch at a salon). Add a little shaving cream then liquid dye, shake to mix and adjust the consistency with more dye till it stands a little off the newspaper like this

If the mixes are good you should be able to then do this

NoThingness I'm glad you are trying to get straight dye to work but I have a hard time with the marbling that way. I want to try getting more dye in solution starting with the powder, I know there are saturation limits but i kinda doubt Rit has maxed out the liquid dye.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
This is a friggin' genius idea. Read this last night. Went to the dollar store on my way into the shop this morning. Got 2 cans of shaving cream, and 2 plates. Got a dye soaking as we speak. Cant wait to see what it looks like in the am. Your latest tutorial definitely should prove to be helpful. Will post a pic of my first experiment with this tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

GL hippie, for tests i was using saucers. You can get 4 tests outta one disc if you do the bottom!
Also, and I'd luv to hear opinions on this, i didn't see much difference between 4hrs and 12 hrs.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 42
Just a thought, but have you tried some sort of heat application after setting the disc? I suspect the MW might have bad effects on the shaving cream stability, but how about a heat application to the upturned underside of the disc...hair dryer..etc? I haven't gotten around to trying this method yet(I have the supplies but no time!) so I don't know if this would help, but maybe worth a try. Heat makes all the difference in a regular dip, so maybe it'll help here too?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
You could always boil the disc for a short time before you dip.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
we tried heating the disc by sticking it in warm water before the shaving cream and all that did was cause the disc to sink through the foam in a short amount of time

Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

135 degree oven will give ya similar results