Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you consider a gimmie?
Putt Everything, No Gimmies! 16 22.54%
If You Can Touch Chains, It's A Gimmie. 43 60.56%
Anything Inside 10ft... 8 11.27%
Other (Specify In Post) 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
Just like ball golf...until the disc is in the basket (hole) it doesn't count. PDGA rules are clear on this. I putt the disc into the basket on every hole no matter what. I found myself getting cocky a year ago and bounced off the top of the chains from three feet. I counted that as a missed putt, as much as it hurt - but it was a true score. Count every throw.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've seen enough missed putts from 5' or closer on careless drop-ins I don't like to play gimmies. For me I don't consider it a sure a thing unless I can literally drop the disc in the basket.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 87
My friends and I don't generally bother with the 10-footers unless there's a gale-force wind. Whoever's closest to the basket just picks 'em up and/or tosses 'em in so we can move on to the next hole.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 10
Just today I was playing a few holes before work, on HCC#17 I "parked" my drive 12 feet away from the basket- felt great! My putt was a bit high-TWHACK!(awful sound of top of a disc catcher) disc takes off rolling, down the hill, over the curb, across the road, into the parking lot. I go fetch, now, I am shooting 4 from the edge of the road 60 feet from the basket, uphill. Two shots and a tree later I am 10 feet away again, uphill from the basket. I think way too much about it, whack the edge of the basket. Mercifully it didn't go far. Pick it up for the drop in, I score a seven- off a drive that was "parked" So for me I say that you be able to DROP it in, so I vote touch chains.
sorry for the long story thought I would share
Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 12
i think sometimes we dont realize how far things actually are and we add 5 or ten feet without noticing , next time you got a tape measure with you measure ten feet from the pole to your foot you might be surprised how close it is .

Sure ive missed 10ft putts when the basket is up or down a hill or i have to shoot around something but i putt with a midrange so at ten foot on level ground the wind really has no effect and i doubt there will be enough people playing in 40+ winds to have to worry about tapping in someones putt.

If were playing for tags or something id say 5 foot would be more realistic cause at that close i could just drop it in and not foot fault but 5ft wasnt an option so i picked 10ft which if i was playing against people who could beat me would be a gimme for those dgrs.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumner420 View Post
Just today I was playing a few holes before work, on HCC#17 I "parked" my drive 12 feet away from the basket- felt great! My putt was a bit high-TWHACK!(awful sound of top of a disc catcher) disc takes off rolling, down the hill, over the curb, across the road, into the parking lot. I go fetch, now, I am shooting 4 from the edge of the road 60 feet from the basket, uphill. Two shots and a tree later I am 10 feet away again, uphill from the basket. I think way too much about it, whack the edge of the basket. Mercifully it didn't go far. Pick it up for the drop in, I score a seven- off a drive that was "parked" So for me I say that you be able to DROP it in, so I vote touch chains.
sorry for the long story thought I would share
when you are "out of bounds" you have the option of taking you previouse lie. You could have just putt again and had a circle 4.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
We have never talked about it but most I have seen play take anything that can touch the chains as a gimme. People take gimmes in ball golf. we used to actually measure them in BG. I don't play tournaments so I am talking casual.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 86
If we are waiting on a group ahead of us & they want to pick up instead of putting out, I don't mind that at all.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Casual play yes within 6'.
Tourney never.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
A gimme is defined by your opponents/others in your group. They should say something like, "You can have that." Otherwise, you gotta putt it.

What's a casual round?