Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hitting the 300' mark...

I went out last saturday and used the things I learned from here and the Dan beato video to finally reach the 300' marks. I actually saw the disc turnover then level out and glide with a slight left fade at the end to land in the 300' range. That was a really amazing thing to watch the disc do what it was designed to do. I had a couple hit around 320' too. I don't think I had anything under 275' mark so I felt really good about that.
Thinking that maybe it was a fluke of some sort I went out today and threw again and once again I consistently hit around 300' and had a few in the 310' to 320' range also. I also took my hawk midrange and hit 275's. All this with a healing elbow so I cannot wait to get it healed up and hopefully get more distance. I feel if I can hit the 350' mark it would be awesome. I was also staying fairly consistent with the area my throws were landing too but did have a couple grip locks and sent them off in the wrong direction. All in all though I feel I have made great strides in just the last month by using the technics I learned from here and the Dan beato video. Thank you all for some great advice!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 50
I've learned a lot from here too, this is such a great site!

I haven't hit 300' yet, but I'm getting closer. I watched the Beato video a long time ago, but a lot of people talk about how helpful it has been. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again, and see what I can get out of it, maybe a little extra distance...

Congrats on the progress, that is awesome!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 126
Congrats, now its time for 400
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post

I haven't hit 300' yet, but I'm getting closer. I watched the Beato video a long time ago, but a lot of people talk about how helpful it has been. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again, and see what I can get out of it, maybe a little extra distance...

I most definitely would. That video has taught me to slow down and work on form more than anything and that has added distance to my drives. I am also using disc's in the 165g to 170g range which has helped also. I am not sure where I read it on here but also haveing a relaxed grip until I get the arm moving forward has definitely reduced my grip lock. I am using the three finger power grip right now but hope to return to the four finger in the future.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 42
tamahawk - what's up with the gold crown next to your trusted reviewer medal? pretty cool - was just kind of curious....
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
I am getting closer to 300 myself. I just got my Groove in the mail and I am going out this afternoon to hit the practice field.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post

It's all about doing exactly what he shows in the video, you know, actually building your throw frim the hit back and not moving to the next step until you have the one you are on mastered. It's also about doing it with putters, mids and slow fairway drivers. Fast drivers won't tell you nearly as much as slower drivers because you won't be generating very much speed in the first few steps.

Just trying to incorporate some of the things he mentions into your throw won't work anywhere near as well. You have to actually go through all of the steps. The key is to remember that each step has to lead to the next one. So, after you've worked out a no step throw and add a step, the last part after your first step will look exactly like the no step throw. A two step throw ends exactly the same way as a no step throw and goes through the exact same motions as a one step throw.

You'd be surprised at how bad your footwork might be and how off your weight transfer might be after doing this exercise. It also might be a slow process the first time. Paitence is required. You might not even get the no step throw all the way figured out the first few times though.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jace View Post
tamahawk - what's up with the gold crown next to your trusted reviewer medal? pretty cool - was just kind of curious....
I think it symbolizes a DGCR Premium Memberships.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
OK, I hit 300ft today and I was shocked with the disc that did it. I was getting close with my SOLS, but a friend gave me his Champ Beast. Its a 168, and I decided to throw it for the hell of it. I was shocked. It drifted right then finished left and I have marked off my practice field, so I know the distances. It hit the ground about 280ft and skipped just past the 300ft mark. I am totally shocked at this disc. Its my new driver.