Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 20
I just shot under par for the first time last night, but it was on a really easy course (Centenial in Kearney, NE). I usually shoot 8 or so over on harder courses.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
It sounds like a year or two is a pretty common time frame, depending on where you play.

It took me at least a year before I could shoot under par on relatively "easy" courses. On the tough ones I'm still scoring over par. For example, I can score at or under par on the back 9 of East Roswell Park, but the front 9 always kicks my butt, so it's going to be a while before I'm under par there.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 35
I think I was right around there a year to a year and a half. Funny story though first tournament I played entered Intermediate Division and shot an even par for the round. Thinking that tourney golfers would be that much better than par I was figuring back of the pack. Much to my surprise I was in 8th out of 40 players. I then had the awakening that my round I thought was bad was good and it took me 3 long years to shoot under par in a tournament. The mind is a funny thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
All this is subject to what people mean by "par" and "pro par".

And the courses you play.

The course I play most often, you should shoot under the posted par almost immediately....and, if you call everything par-3, most people will find themselves shooting under par within weeks or months of starting.

On the other hand, on my own course, many people will never shoot under par, no matter how defined.
CAN OF WORMS -

As most of you know there are several threads on par covering this. I think we all can evaluate our level of skill and know that at some point the whole "pro-par" concept of 3 shots is what it is for holes under 500'. If you are shooting "course par" as posted on a tee sign and you have been playing for a year, it might be time to step up the game and go for 2 & 3 on every hole. You are not going to improve your game if you don't challenge yourself Great Job on getting in your first round under par regardless of what par you used!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
When a person first breaks par, in comparison to others, is meaningless unless playing the same course, and same definition of par.

On the other hand....individually, it means that person has improved, and just shot the best round of his or her life. In that regard, it's a milestone. So congrats, everyone!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 35
I've been at it since July last year and have not yet shot an under par round. Most of my rounds are played at Lake Stevens, WA where you have to learn to putt into some weird baskets ~ http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...2/45a05158.jpg ~ I add about 5 or more strokes each round because I hit one of the bars on an usually easy putt. My best round there is +3.
But I have shot a +1 at Twin Rivers in Arlington, WA with real chain baskets ~ http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1938

Heading out to Twin Rivers today ~ maybe I can come home and report an under par round.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
All this is subject to what people mean by "par" and "pro par".

And the courses you play.

The course I play most often, you should shoot under the posted par almost immediately....and, if you call everything par-3, most people will find themselves shooting under par within weeks or months of starting.

On the other hand, on my own course, many people will never shoot under par, no matter how defined.
same here. my home course is pretty nasty and i usually end up coming out +5 or 6 on a good day.

-trev
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkstr View Post
Most of my rounds are played at Lake Stevens, WA where you have to learn to putt into some weird baskets ~ http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...2/45a05158.jpg
Drkstr isn't joking, those are some strange baskets, just look at the picture.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
When a person first breaks par, in comparison to others, is meaningless unless playing the same course, and same definition of par.

On the other hand....individually, it means that person has improved, and just shot the best round of his or her life. In that regard, it's a milestone. So congrats, everyone!
This is a little more mathematical than some might prefer as well as taking a lot of mouse clicks, but I suggest a better way to set a goal. That would be to acheive a certain PDGA Player Rating level.

I set a goal for myself to shoot a 53 (1 under par) at Kilborne (long pins, original course) before 1 year of playing. To calculate the rating of that I go to http://www.pdga.com/course-ratings-by-course (this link is hard to get to as I can find nowhere on pdga.com where it is listed).

Find the course you are looking for and then find a tournament that was played on the same layout. Then find someone in that tournament who shot your target score. When you hit the "Show Round Ratings" link it will show you how that round was rated. Better yet, find several instances in several rounds of several tournaments and average them out.

This number pretty accurately describes a skill level that equates to your goal. And it is "portable" to other courses. Obviously this method to determine an approximate rating only works for courses/layouts on which a PDGA tournament was played, and you have to then know what layout was used.

For Kilborne my goal of just for once shooting a 53 roughly equated to a 960 rated round. I think it took me 1 year and 2-3 months to acheive that.

Last edited by Dave242; 05-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 6
for me i would just like to throw an even par at whistlers bend, or. the best i have ever done was +3 and that was exceptional. most of the time its like a 7-8