Old 05-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 35
For the most part, what "par" is doesn't matter to me. When I'm playing a course, I use the "everything's a 3" method to simplify tracking my score, but I do recognize there are two par 4 holes in my town.

I agree with Oloirn's Gold CR Par concept, so I think of Par and Pro Par as descriptions that are useful when the long tees at a course change the hole so significantly that the par changes. I can think of a couple holes at Buckhorn (in NC) that are like this.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 AM

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 10
I've never heard the term "rec par" and I don't believe in "pro par". This crazy notion that every hole is a par 3. Not all courses are created equal, so why should they all have the same par? I don't think the pros expect to throw a 3 on some of the longer holes, why should I? I play course par, whatever the posted par for the hole is, that's my goal.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChick View Post
I've never heard the term "rec par" and I don't believe in "pro par". ...I play course par, whatever the posted par for the hole is, that's my goal.
But most of the time "Sign Par" = "Rec Par".
And if it's not it's not usually based on any real or consistent standard. More often than not, par on signs is just based on what a course Pro "feels" like the number should be. With no consistent standards the Sign pars can vary so wildly from course to course that they're basically useless too.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 11
This rec/sign par...How long ago was it put up? If the person that designed it did so in the days of no distance drivers, then it would be obsolete. I think we should go by some distance. eg. <300 ft par 3, 301 - 500 par 4, >500 par 5. Then we could standardize the couses and par more often. I know some of you would say, is that straight line distance? and my response would be: it is the line of flight for a disc, around OB, mandos, etc. If you can cut out the OB by bombing a shot over 400' of water, than good for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Let me show you a comparison-

Burke Lake and Giles Run are about 4 miles apart. Burke Lake has 8 holes that are marked Par 4, none of which is over 400 feet.

Giles Run has only 4 Par 4's, all over 400 feet, and 3 par 5's one is 580 feet, one 650 and one 950 feet.

By any measure does Burke Lake really have any Par 4s? This is why no-one, but rec players even pay attention to the signs for pars.

Even at Giles, most serious players still play it as a Par 54, while it's rec par is 58 to 61, depending on which tees/baskets you play.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 PM

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
But most of the time "Sign Par" = "Rec Par".
And if it's not it's not usually based on any real or consistent standard. More often than not, par on signs is just based on what a course Pro "feels" like the number should be. With no consistent standards the Sign pars can vary so wildly from course to course that they're basically useless too.
You're right, the sign par is basically useless, other than to help you keep track of how you play on a particular course. I read your "thoughts on par" that you linked in a previous post and it makes some sense. Or in a more simplified way like swellerdiscgolf said, a length standard. There absolutely does need to be a consistent standard. But until there is, I'm going to enjoy the ego boost I get when I throw at Dorey where the posted par is obviously too high, and the par 4s outnumber the par 3s.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
I agree with DiscChick. I play the listed par. Sometimes it is pretty easy but ball golf courses vary widely in their difficulty level also. And I don't understand the thought that you can't keep your score in your head. When I played BG I kept my score inrelation to par with no problem and BG courses are not all par 3. There will always be harder and easier courses and I don't feel like we need a standard that turns every course into the same difficulty level.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Here's my take on "par." I think once you're within 50 feet, you should be able to get it in within 2. I think a pro should be expected to be within 50 feet from 250 feet away, even with a pretty significant dogleg. So holes 300' or less in length should be par 3. 550' or less is a par 4. 800 or less is par 5 etc. If it is wide open, you can stretch it out a bit. If it is a little tight, you can shorten it down some. This isn't rocket science. If you can hit a 525' hole in 3, that deserves a birdie. Likewise if you can hit a 285' hole in 2.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 3
Bring on par 4's and 5's please.

:^)

Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
My local course has a posted par of 64. I used to feel good about shooting 8 under. When I switched to 3 per hole and was shooting 2 over, it encouraged me to improve until I'm now shooting 4 under (-14 posted par).

I'm glad I switched.