Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Sponsorship in sports plays a big part of being a real "Pro". Since there is little sponsorship in disc golf as many other sports like swimming and track & field, there are not many real "Pros" that don't have to work another job. There are still many that have "Pro" talent, and practice everyday before or after work or both. Even some of the people that have a sponsor still have to work.

I was just looking at the tourney I finished yesterday and the ratings vs division. Most people were playing above their rated division which I find odd. There were 17 players rated 800-899 and 17 rated 900-929 in Advanced field of 44, so only 10 of 44 played in the correct division. I don't have a rating yet, but I think its 880-890, and played the Intermediate and ended up 4th. My 3 rounds were rated 892, 868, 885. Had those 17 players rated under 900 played Intermediate, six beat me, so that would have put me in 10th. Had the 34 players rated under 930 played Intermediate I would have been 27th. There were also a number of non-rated players that beat me. And some people think I'm a bagger. Its only my 3rd tourney.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
I don't really care what people that play in the open division call themselves. Personally, I will not call myself "pro" unless I become sponsored or get to where I can finish with some consistency in the top half of the open division. I think anyone with a rating over 970 or so can call themselves pro without anyone questioning that. Much less than that and you are kidding yourself.
I agree with the gist of what you are saying. It is wierd that really anyone can sign up in the open division. Playing open division DOES NOT qualify you as a pro though.
Someone has to donate though, right?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 186
Personally I tend to play all over the board depending on the size of the tournament. C Tier or non sanctioned I might play Adv/Open, B Tier/ State Series I play Adv/ , and A Tier or NT I play Intermediate. I figure by playing with better players I will get more for my money where when i think I have a shot to win it I play in my appropriate level which is somewhere between Int/Adv since I am 900+. However, I agree that playing open makes nobody pro. You must earn the respect and usually sponsors follow the people's choice.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
I agree that having a major sponsorship would make you a pro but the reality is that this will not be the case for all players. I think that a better definitionwe need to make is of Pro vs. "Playing Pro". Anyone can play Pro just like if I paid Tiger Woods enough money I am sure that he would play a round of ball golf with me. I could even go to qualifying school and maybe make it to the PGA. The real pros in our sports are what they call the, "touring pros". That is a short list of the player who like Climo travel to most if not all of the NT events.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
In motorcycle road racing just about anyone can compete at a fairly high level with sponsored riders if they got enough of their own scratch and resourcefulness. They are called 'privateers'. I don't think you have to be sponsored to be a 'pro'. However, what defines a pro in disc golf is certainly difficult. I'm not sure the sport is organized/successful enough yet to appropriately define and separate pro and am. Seemingly a pro would be someone who is making a living from said activity. But as has been stated there isn't enough money in disc golf for this to happen.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42
there are other sports where you can just sign up to be a "Pro" and all that it means is that you are playing for cash.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 3
That is what my original point was... or one of the original topics I was attempting to point out.

When you have a sport where anyone can be a pro just by paying an entry fee... that does not automagically make them a pro athelete. I stand by that statement till the end.

We have more weekend warriors than pros but many of those alleged pros have obtained quite an ego because of how we have allowed them to picture themselves in their minds eye.

Many are simply not pro atheletes. Period. They just pay an entry fee.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I don't think you have to be sponsored to be a 'pro'.
I agree that you do not HAVE to be sponsored to be a pro.

I do also acknowledge that SOME pros get sponsored because they ARE truly pros.

Many folks get sponsorships for other reasons but that does not turn them
magically into a pro athelete.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 11
I always heard that according to IOC, and NCAA rules that if you receive money for finishing in a sport, then you are considered a pro, and can no longer play that sport as an am. for their organizations. Of course the IOC has changed their stance on that. That being said, most of us don't care if we gave up our am status, because we are no longer in college.

When I was younger, I stayed in the youth league for bowling as long as I could because I didn't want to lose my am status. After I moved up to the adult leagues I joined the pro tour for a couple of years, and barely broke even with travel cost and entry fees. Did I consider my self a pro? Hell yeah! Could I have made a living at it? Hell no! My point is to play whatever division you want to, and enjoy the time.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
if you receive money for finishing in a sport, then you are considered a pro, and can no longer play that sport as an am
Sure, that is true of most sports that I can think of.

One barrier I have seen in sports that seperated the Ams from the Pros was a huge entry fee span.

Folks that were truly AMs were not very inclined to put up that much money having to compete
against the big dogs.

What we have in DG are pros in their own mind... with very few exceptions.
Maybe that is why they call it OPEN.

Part of being a professional athelete is actually making a living at the endeavor, imho.

Last edited by innova; 05-05-2009 at 07:00 AM.