Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Neither term is accurate. Our Pros, with few exceptions, aren't Professionals, as they can't make a living at it. Our Ams aren't really Amateurs, since they receive value for winning.

But the terms are useful. The words are short. And they clearly distinguish our top levels of competition.

Should disc golf ever grow to the size where there are spectators and significant outside money involved, we'll probably change from begging people to play in the top division to restricting them from it unless they qualify.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 3
Very well said. I agree 100%
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 84
good call david..probably wont see it in my lifetime..being a new sport, its gonna take awhile to catch on with the people with all the cash(corporate sponsorship)
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Neither term is accurate. Our Pros, with few exceptions, aren't Professionals, as they can't make a living at it. Our Ams aren't really Amateurs, since they receive value for winning.
Very true. In fact, I'd say none of the divisional titles we use in DG tournaments are accurate. Even most of the people playing the Intermediate and Recreational divisions at tournaments are in the context of the entire DG community advanced level players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Should disc golf ever grow to the size where there are spectators and significant outside money involved, we'll probably change from begging people to play in the top division to restricting them from it unless they qualify.
If it ever gets to this, I'd say that there's going to be a complete separation between the local "pro" players who show up at your friendly neighborhood B tier/C tier/unsanctioned event, and the real pros who play National Tour events. To some extent, you're already seeing this with some of the top players who don't bother with the less pretigious tournaments unless they're close to home and they had nothing better to do that weekend.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 31
Disc Golf has over 40,000 professional players. All it takes is 50 bucks a year.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 84
50 bucks? thought it was 75
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
50 bucks? thought it was 75
That depends on if you're an amateur professional or a professional professional.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 294
I would say it has little to do with sponsorship... since my good friend Steve Rico -not sponsored by one of the top disc companies - has been consistently ranked in the top ten for the last 5+ years.

Therefore... I would say that the top ranked (200 male and 50 female) players in the world would be considered true pros. (or some other arbitrary percentage of the playing population... but I think my numbers are good).
DSCJNKY
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 106
Top 200 in world eh, so then I was pro in swimming. Never made a dime from it although I got some worthless medals, a dinky scholarship in college, signed a few autographs for kids, broke a few records, and was #2 in Md to some dude named Phelps. I guess it depends on how you look at the numbers. I only consider the athletes that have sponsors to be true pros in any sport or are substantially supported financially by prize money or paid to be on a team. So in the NFL there are 1,696 pros, not including arena, world, canadian leagues. I only consider a handful of swimmers to true pros about 30 men/ 30 women that have sponsors or made the national team. The difference in the number of pros per sport is in the sponsorship which is also related to the audience popularity of the sport. Theres always an exception to the rule like Steve Rico, but he makes a decent amount of money from tourney wins.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
From what I've heard the only reason that Steve Rico isn't sponsored is that he refuses to throw Innova or Discraft discs exclusively.