Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 3
Sponsorships are obviously part of the pro world but it is not something that makes you a pro.
It is something that pros achieve. I maintain you have to train, eat properly and make a living at the competitive levels of our sport to actually be a real bonafide pro... and maintain a practice regimine.

If that is indeed the case, we don't have to many bonafide pros... now do we?

Paying the pDGA does not automagically transform someone into a pro. I disagree. Sure you have to pay them to play OPEN in pDGA tournaments, but that does not mysteriously transform them into a Jerry Rice. ( i use him as an example due to his demeanor)

Does losing a sponsorship prove you are not a pro?

Last edited by innova; 05-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
There is simply not enough money, tournament or sponsorship wise to allow more than a hand full of what I call pro. Pro meaning you have no other job, and only focus on being the best athlete possible. Either a sponsor recognizes the potential, or results, or the athlete is winning enough consistently to support them. Not saying there is not pro level talent out there, they just aren't as consistent or not as brand-able perhaps. In proportion to the number pros in DG compared to other sports vs money, it is where I would expect it. There is a lot of money in football, so there are thousands of pros that all they have to worry about is football, although it doesn't always work that way. Although I think Plaxico Burress and Mick Vick worried about a bit more than football. Jerry Rice on the other hand is the GOAT! If there was more money in disc golf from more people, more sponsors, more audiences then there will be more real pros which would eventually lead to real pro only events with a 1000+ cut off.