Disc Golf Store
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 21
Need more spin

I throw RHBH 350'-380' but it's almost all torque and arm speed that produces this distance. My throws seem to have a minimal amount of spin on them and I just don't have that "snap" that I hear y'all talk about. So basically, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to getting more spin or snap on my release.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Stop throwing/torquing the hell out of your Boss, and learn to throw a Teebird, Roc, Buzz, or a putter is best for driving form practice.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Stop throwing/torquing the hell out of your Boss, and learn to throw a Teebird, Roc, Buzz, or a putter is best for driving form practice.
I don't know why you assume I'm throwing a Boss and over-torquing it. Although I do have a Boss, it's a bit too fast for me so I don't even carry it in my bag. I do throw a Teebird and the Buzzz is my favorite disc. I'll use my putter for shots around 220' or less and a Buzzz or a Drone for 300' or less. I don't think my problem is disc selection, but rather form, or lack thereof.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
I assumed cause you didnt' say what you are chucking 350-380' with a lot of torque. Thats still a decent drive if you can control it.

Try slowing the pull phase, keep the disc close your chest and focus on acceleration and follow through once your elbow passes your shoulder. But it sounds like you are getting a decent amount of snap if you are getting your putter out to 220'. Its hard to say without seeing you throw though.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
I don't know why you assume I'm throwing a Boss and over-torquing it. Although I do have a Boss, it's a bit too fast for me so I don't even carry it in my bag. I do throw a Teebird and the Buzzz is my favorite disc. I'll use my putter for shots around 220' or less and a Buzzz or a Drone for 300' or less. I don't think my problem is disc selection, but rather form, or lack thereof.
Reach back deep as you can and then follow thru sharply on a flat plane/slight hyzer. ( RHBH) Repeat....reach back and follow thru sharp. Now...adjust your nose angle and try again.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 3
Start slow reach WAY back and finish fast.

Don't try to look over your shoulder at where you are throwing but allow your head to rotate with your shoulders, imho.

Follow thru!!

To maximize snap I keep my thumb very close to the flight plate outer rim and pinch fairly tight.
To force understable I slide my thumb toward the center of the disc. I have notice it decreases snap. (imho)

Sometimes when I get it right... I actually make a snapping sound when I throw.
It is my bird finger slapping against my palm that makes the snapping sound.

Learn to allow the disc to get ripped out of your grip by armspeed momentum, imho.

I keep my wrist locked, so to speak till I've pulled the throw across my chest then my wrist starts to have that last final bit of umph/ minor wrist snap for added spin.

Wow that is hard to explain.

Last edited by innova; 05-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
try turning your wrist into your body more for your wind up.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to skottyb
So I am guessing you are throwing around the 280-310 mark if you are having trouble with snap... Most golfers dont throw over 400, heck most dont throw over 350 with a tailwind...

why is there always so much exaggeration on these messageboards?

sorry what was the question again.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 3
I can throw over 400 and I am an old fart. It is a matter of will power too, imho.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottyb View Post
So I am guessing you are throwing around the 280-310 mark if you are having trouble with snap... Most golfers dont throw over 400, heck most dont throw over 350 with a tailwind...

why is there always so much exaggeration on these messageboards?

sorry what was the question again.
There's no reason for me to exaggerate. I'm trying to get help with my form and it would serve no purpose to exaggerate. The distances are shown at my local course and when I land 40' from the pin on a 420' hole that's 380' (hole 16 at Pease) or when I land 30' from a 412' pin...you get the picture. These are my max distances though and I don't always throw that far, but yes it's usually in the range of 350-380 when I'm going for max D. My goal is to park it at the pin that's 420', and I think if I'm able to get more spin I could reach or even surpass that goal.

Maybe the fact that I'm 6'4" and have a large wingspan helps, I dunno, but I'm not trying to increase my e-ego by lying on a message board when I'm just trying to get a little help. Before I found this place I was throwing under 300' with the worst form/grip/technique possible, but by testing out some different techniques that have been suggested here I've been able to increase that to a max of 380'. Maybe you should try the same thing.

And the question was "how do I get more spin/snap on my drives" which you seemed to ignore because you got offended that I can throw further than you.

Last edited by skurf; 05-05-2009 at 11:51 PM.