Disc Golf Center
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
1. Start slow reach WAY back and finish fast.

2. Don't try to look over your shoulder at where you are throwing but allow your head to rotate with your shoulders, imho.

3. Follow thru!!

4. To maximize snap I keep my thumb very close to the flight plate outer rim and pinch fairly tight.
To force understable I slide my thumb toward the center of the disc. I have notice it decreases snap. (imho)

5. Sometimes when I get it right... I actually make a snapping sound when I throw.
It is my bird finger slapping against my palm that makes the snapping sound.

6. Learn to allow the disc to get ripped out of your grip by armspeed momentum, imho.

7. I keep my wrist locked, so to speak till I've pulled the throw across my chest then my wrist starts to have that last final bit of umph/ minor wrist snap for added spin.

8. Wow that is hard to explain.
I numbered them to make it easier to respond to.

1-3. I do fairly well on these aspects and I think is part of the reason I can get it as far as I can.

4. I'll try this out because I usually have my thumb more towards the center than what I think you're describing.

5. Never heard this sound with my own drives, but I heard it with this guy that I played with today, but I could still out-drive him a bit.

6. Yeah, when I have a good drive it's definitely getting ripped out.

7. I think this might be my biggest problem and what other people here describe as "wrist extension." I usually have my wrist in a straight line with my arm. I'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing Trenton is talking about...cocking the wrist inwards toward the body? It sounds like it though.

8. Hey, thanks for the effort! It was actually quite helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
And while you're at it be proud you can throw it as far as you do. I know we all want to throw that next increment farther, but do take a moment to step back and appreciate what you've already accomplished.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
And while you're at it be proud you can throw it as far as you do. I know we all want to throw that next increment farther, but do take a moment to step back and appreciate what you've already accomplished.
Oh, I do. And I definitely appreciate the help I've received here. I've gone from being the 2nd shortest thrower to the 2nd longest thrower among my group of friends that play disc golf, but I am always looking to improve my form, distance and accuracy. I will not be satisfied till I can consistently park the 420' hole I mentioned earlier. I realize this may take a while, but I've got plenty of time. Hell, I played this game for six years and was completely stagnant--never improving. Since I joined this forum about 5 months ago I've improved every aspect of my game, and let me tell you, disc golf is much more fun now than it was when I was shanking 280' drives the opposite direction of the pin.

Last edited by skurf; 05-06-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 10
The snap trick, so I gather, is to pull back-at the split second the disc is being forced from your fingertips by inertia. As your body is spinning to the right (RHBH) your wrist is "snapping" to the left, against the bodies momentum hopefully generating more spin. The problem, I gather, is that an early pull will jerk a throw, badly. A late one just hurts the wrist. I throw a paltry 250 or so(a couple steps over 80 yards on a rugby pitch) so I may be wrong....
just my two cents.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
i wish i had the problem of throwin 350-380 without spin , thats where i top out at and im using hella spin just to get that far without it id probally be throwin less than 250.

i dont know if u run up or xstep or whatever but you might wanna try standing still and throwing without moving your feet.
Im not suggesting keeping your stance like that but by throwing with mostly just your arm and not ur body it might force you to learn spin to get some d.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 3
Quote:
8. Hey, thanks for the effort! It was actually quite helpful.
My pleasure. I spend a lot of time helping players learn to be more competitive. I enjoy that the most these days.

I applaud your efforts to learn your way thru a skill set plateau.

Many folks never get past that point, IMHO.

You da man...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Footwork and momentum are another thing you can further develop, imho.

Think of it as learning a new shot... adding another club to your bag, so to speak.

Let me clarify... many younger big guns have a "skip" in their footwork to build body momentum during the first few seconds of a run up.

My point is working on different footwork can also impact your power.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
IMO you're asking the million dollar question. If there were an easy fix to get past the plateau you're describing a lot more of us would be throwing fairway drivers >400'.

The problem is that it isn't one thing that you need to fix, it's getting everything to come together at the right time. Either rebuilding, or confirming, your throw from the hit back a la Dan Beato video is the fist place to start. You must have that late acceleration and correct timing through your whole body. Also, tightning up your grip too early or too much can limit wrist extension. Try to keep loose and feel that whip. The rip should happen later than most people realize.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

this guy knows D http://www.uoregon.edu/~dfeldber/golf/throwfar.htm

I'd venture a guess guys like this grip fairly firmly when throwing.

Last edited by innova; 05-06-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
IMO you're asking the million dollar question. If there were an easy fix to get past the plateau you're describing a lot more of us would be throwing fairway drivers >400'.

The problem is that it isn't one thing that you need to fix, it's getting everything to come together at the right time. Either rebuilding, or confirming, your throw from the hit back a la Dan Beato video is the fist place to start. You must have that late acceleration and correct timing through your whole body. Also, tightning up your grip too early or too much can limit wrist extension. Try to keep loose and feel that whip. The rip should happen later than most people realize.
Always listen to the wise Garu. Seriously.

But if you know snap is what need this is what helped me a little: I try and keep my arm nice and relaxed until the last possible moment, at that point flex and grip hard. That and try to almost let the disc hit your forearm just before the release. That said it's not a real natural thing for me yet either... if I don't focus on it I probably won't do it.