Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzuleger View Post
Always listen to the wise Garu. Seriously.

But if you know snap is what need this is what helped me a little: I try and keep my arm nice and relaxed until the last possible moment, at that point flex and grip hard. That and try to almost let the disc hit your forearm just before the release. That said it's not a real natural thing for me yet either... if I don't focus on it I probably won't do it.
This was recently brought up on the DGR board and Dan's advice was actually to not tighten your grip consiously at the end of your throw. It will naturally tighten if you accelerate through the hit and trying to do it manually will probably just limit wrist extension.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 81
Look down at your disc from the top during the pull through and think of the disc as a clock. When the disc crosses your chest where is your thumb? If it's at 3 o'clock try rotating your thumb around closer to 12 o'clock. I do this combined with a few extra steps and a faster runup when I need to get over 400'. I never hear a snap but my wife always comments on how loud my snap is.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Need more spin?

I wouldn't talk to this guy then I guess...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 15
this MAY help

its my experience of gettign snap

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...4&postcount=29
Old 05-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Ha ha. If you're relying on tee signs to assess your distance you probably are exaggerating. Best thing I did to realize just how far I can actually throw is buy a little measuring wheel. I was surprised just how far 300 feet really is. Much longer than a lot of 300 foot holes.

Likewise, measuring putts is very instructive. I have to have a pretty big weight shift to have a straight flat 30 foot putt.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
There's no reason for me to exaggerate. I'm trying to get help with my form and it would serve no purpose to exaggerate. The distances are shown at my local course and when I land 40' from the pin on a 420' hole that's 380' (hole 16 at Pease) or when I land 30' from a 412' pin...you get the picture. These are my max distances though and I don't always throw that far, but yes it's usually in the range of 350-380 when I'm going for max D. My goal is to park it at the pin that's 420', and I think if I'm able to get more spin I could reach or even surpass that goal.

Maybe the fact that I'm 6'4" and have a large wingspan helps, I dunno, but I'm not trying to increase my e-ego by lying on a message board when I'm just trying to get a little help. Before I found this place I was throwing under 300' with the worst form/grip/technique possible, but by testing out some different techniques that have been suggested here I've been able to increase that to a max of 380'. Maybe you should try the same thing.

And the question was "how do I get more spin/snap on my drives" which you seemed to ignore because you got offended that I can throw further than you.
i wish i could throw that far..... everything i read and hear about says slow your form down and FOLLOW THROUGH Noone ever talks about follow through on these threads. Like any other sport it accounts for half of all form problems if not more. I think you need to grunt real loud too
Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
Look down at your disc from the top during the pull through and think of the disc as a clock. When the disc crosses your chest where is your thumb? If it's at 3 o'clock try rotating your thumb around closer to 12 o'clock. I do this combined with a few extra steps and a faster runup when I need to get over 400'. I never hear a snap but my wife always comments on how loud my snap is.
so you're saying rotate my thumb more to the center of the disc, but innova says rotate it more to the edge...what gives? Or am I misunderstanding one or both of you?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChump View Post
Ha ha. If you're relying on tee signs to assess your distance you probably are exaggerating. Best thing I did to realize just how far I can actually throw is buy a little measuring wheel. I was surprised just how far 300 feet really is. Much longer than a lot of 300 foot holes.

Likewise, measuring putts is very instructive. I have to have a pretty big weight shift to have a straight flat 30 foot putt.
I've used the measure function in google earth and the distances on the signs at Pease match what google earth says, and from other experiences, google earth usually has less than 1 foot margin of error per thousand feet.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 3
If I place my thumb in the center of the flight plate... or thereabouts... I do not get as much spin
as when i pinch the outer rim.

That is me. MMV.

I find that by placing my thumb in the center, I force an understable shot.

I throw pretty darn far and those max D shots are the ones where my thumb is on the outer rim.

Not sure what anyone else has experienced. That is just my take on the matter.

Last edited by innova; 05-17-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
so you're saying rotate my thumb more to the center of the disc, but innova says rotate it more to the edge...what gives? Or am I misunderstanding one or both of you?
I think you are misunderstand them. Grip close to the edge but bend your wrist more so that your thumb is in a 12 o'clock position when coming across your chest. Think like having your arm in a position like your giving someone a headlock with your wrist bent in as much as possible. Your thumb is pointing back at your chest.