Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
I've used the measure function in google earth and the distances on the signs at Pease match what google earth says, and from other experiences, google earth usually has less than 1 foot margin of error per thousand feet.
Google Earth is much more inconsistent than that. I wanted to see how fast I could run a mile, so I used GE to map out the mile. I ran it at 9 min 16 sec, after not running in over 8 years, being out of shape because of college and having progressing arthritis in my hip since 2001. No one believed me. So I looked it up on a regular map... about 4/5th of a mile. Then confirmed by driving it and watching my speedometer. With 20% inaccuracy in that instance, could bring your drive down about 60 feet (ish).
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a natural "hurdler" type follow through after my best drives (803.02 compliant). The spin is fantastic when I throw like that, but little audible snap. I would do it after every throw, but its hard to recreate when I am trying to. Oh well, keep trying.

Does anyone feel it necessary to cut the "snap" calluses from your fingertips?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarlson83 View Post
Google Earth is much more inconsistent than that. I wanted to see how fast I could run a mile, so I used GE to map out the mile. I ran it at 9 min 16 sec, after not running in over 8 years, being out of shape because of college and having progressing arthritis in my hip since 2001. No one believed me. So I looked it up on a regular map... about 4/5th of a mile. Then confirmed by driving it and watching my speedometer. With 20% inaccuracy in that instance, could bring your drive down about 60 feet (ish).
I don't know why you people are so convinced that I don't throw as far as I say I do. Not that it matters (although it is annoying), but this thread was not supposed to be about whether or not I can throw 'x' amount of feet or not, but about how to get more spin. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the ruler tool on google earth is VERY accurate, at least for the area that I live in. I work for a land surveying company and we use it when we go out to survey a big ranch so that the field crew will have landmarks that they can follow to get them in the right area. And what we've found is that the distances in google earth are never off by more than a foot or two when dealing with many thousands of feet.

Don't take my word for it? Here's an example of a football field and the hole that I'm talking about at Pease Park that has 420' on the sign, and they are both dead on the money.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg UTField.jpg (81.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 16-Pease.jpg (80.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by skurf; 05-20-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
I don't know why you people are so convinced that I don't throw as far as I say I do. Not that it matters (although it is annoying), but this thread was not supposed to be about whether or not I can throw 'x' amount of feet or not, but about how to get more spin. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the ruler tool on google earth is VERY accurate, at least for the area that I live in. I work for a land surveying company and we use it when we go out to survey a big ranch so that the field crew will have landmarks that they can follow to get them in the right area. And what we've found is that the distances in google earth are never off by more than a foot or two when dealing with many thousands of feet.

Don't take my word for it? Here's an example of a football field and the hole that I'm talking about at Pease Park that has 420' on the sign, and they are both dead on the money.

Really cool. Thank you. I didn't know I had that ability in Google Earth.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM

I don't care how far you throw. You said you are 6'4", in my experience with hullers that gives you credibility.

But it was wrong for me in that instance.