Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 92
Superclass...thoughts?

I played in the superclass event @ the IDGC in Augusta, GA this past weekend and it was an absolute blast. Prior to the event i was skeptical of superclass, thinking it was a throwback to outdated disc technology....but now i can't wait for the next event.

Everyone was basically throwing the same discs, either superhero or zeypher, and only carrying a few discs. The discs throw like an ultimate lid...no big differences in distance to be had. Its all about technique, not about how far you can toss it....so the ams/pros/masters players all played in one open division & all levels finished in the cash. It was much like ball golf -- shot selection and shot placement is very important; no wild scoring distributions; putting somewhat tougher than normal. Courses that are technical are really short now would be perfect for superclass.

Has anybody else played in a superclass event yet? It's definitely worth trying, coming from somebody who was on the fence about playing it.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 3
I would gladly try it.
Quote:
so the ams/pros/masters players all played in one open division & all levels finished in the cash.
I am not in agreement with paying AMS cash, but I am not sure if that is what you mean...
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
i have a TE MOKO 187g super class disc. i will sometimes play with just that disc to really focus on my technique. super class is a lot of fun, i wish i could get my friends to play a super class round.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 39
Not to completely rehash the thread from the ADGO board (Hi, John!), but I'd love to see more happening with SuperClass, and I definitely think East Roswell Park has the makings of a great venue for SC competition. I've started hauling my new Zephyr out with me for rounds with my son at ERP and playing from the red tees with it -- and liking it a lot. I'm gonna start lobbying the RDGC to get behind a SuperClass event at ERP, but if they're not interested I'd love to find enough like-minded folks to make it happen anyway.

So here's a question -- how would those of you interested in SC competition feel about an event that combined SuperClass play for the adults with a juniors tourney? Ideas on how it might work?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 5
is superclass disc golf but using ultimate discs? i guess i'm not sure what we're talking about.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
is superclass disc golf but using ultimate discs?
Basically, yes. http://www.pdga.com/super-class
Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
I am not in agreement with paying AMS cash, but I am not sure if that is what you mean...
no i didn't mean paid in cash, but they placed high enough to cash (ams paid out in vouchers)...they beat much higher rated players. the playing field was much more level...

yep it's like DG with discs that are more like ultimate. ultimate discs are legal, but so are ~10 other molds. a putter (like an aviar) is too high tech for SC. so it brings shorter courses into play.

scott>> ERP red would be great for SC. you could have juniors divisions in the SC tourney, right? some of the SC discs are really lightweight...the champion zeyphers are ~140g.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
scott>> ERP red would be great for SC. you could have juniors divisions in the SC tourney, right? some of the SC discs are really lightweight...the champion zeyphers are ~140g.
Yeah, I guess you could at that. The reason that I posed the question the way I did is that I'm looking at a combination of (a) a juniors disc golf camp that's going to be happening at ERP in July, and a desire to have a juniors tourney soon after that; (b) a desire to have an SC event with a reasonable number of competitors; (c) a pretty crowded calendar for the rest of the year. The RDGC wants the juniors event to happen, but I'm not sure how they'd react to making it an SC event -- the kids at the camp are getting starter packs with newer golf discs, so they wouldn't be able to use 'em -- they'd have to either buy SC discs, or we'd have to include 'em in the player's pack fo rthe tourney. They also wouldn't be using some of the skills they'd have ostensibly learned at the camp.

My thinking was that having an adult SC event alongside the juniors event would provide a chance to have the kids and adults playing at the same time, from the same tees, and be interesting for both.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hey this sounds like fun!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
So its like spec racing? Are the discs the same size or big>?