Disc Golf Center
Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like fun, let us know how it goes! I would really be interested in playing an event like that, I'll have to see if I can find anyone up here who wants to run one. There are tons of courses around here that are just way too easy with modern discs, but might be more fun and challenging with the sc discs.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12StonesScott View Post
The Roswell Disc Golf Club will be hosting the Roswell Kids & Lids Classic, a non-sanctioned combination juniors/SuperClass event, at East Roswell Park, Roswell, GA, on August 15. Details on divisions, entry fees, etc. are still being worked out, but expect this to be an event with more emphasis on having fun than taking home cash. My thinking was that since I've been hoping for more juniors events in the Atlanta area, and hoping for a SuperClass event, but was worried that either by itself might not draw quite enough interest, combining them would
  • Give parents of the kids playing an excuse to come out and play themselves
  • Let everyone play from the Red tees without boring the better adult players
  • help ensure that the fixed costs for an event at ERP can be covered by a very modest entry fee.
If you're interested in this event, please take a minute to fill out the form at http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...X3hYT3N0VGc6MA.. Collecting this info will help us gauge interest in each division and plan more effectively for player packs, etc. Note that this is NOT an online registration yet -- just collecting info, but if you submit the form we will contact you directly once signup details are finalized.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Done...but you knew that was gonna happen didn't ya?

Gonna pick up a Zephyr at Disc Golf Center while we are in Orlando next week.

Oh PS, what is the general concensus of par for super class?

I was thinking 0-300' Par 3
301-400' Par 4
400+ Par 5

Sound good? I am going to practice a bit so I figured I would gage my score.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 214
I played in a sanctioned SuperClass icebowl back in Feb. It was awesome. A course that is a mediocre pitch and putt for real discs (Pohick Bay in Lorton, VA) became an awesome course and a challenging event.

The PDGA now has ratings up for SuperClass events, based on the few tourneys that have been held. At the moment -- thanks to very few events being held anywhere-- a friend and I are the top two SuperClass players in the world, and are the only two 1000+ rated players according to the PDGA stats. really funny, as I know there are plenty of old school players who could crush us. And I hadn't thrown a Zephyr until the morning of the tournament (I do play Ultimate, though, so that helped).

I played a Saturday tournament and afterwards, went back through 9 holes of the course with just a Te Moko, and I was shooting better than I did in the tourney with my whole bag. SuperClass can just laser lines and fall completely flat when thrown with finesse, which is just wild to watch.

Played an event yesterday on a 9,900+ 18-hole course... and I kept my superclass disc in the bag and threw it when I needed to lace straight shots in the woods... on some holes, the woods are so tight I threw it off the teebox and used it to keep in the fairway.

SuperClass is totally fun -- the hardest part is talking your friends into trying it. The best part is that it reinvigorates otherwise weak/short/unchallenging courses. SuperClass levels the field enough that the game suddenly becomes a lot more fun.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Unfortunately East Roswell Park is not a weak, unchallenging course.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Unfortunately East Roswell Park is not a weak, unchallenging course.
No, but it's a challenge mainly to touch and finesse, especially from the Reds, which is where SuperClass shines. It's not about bombing 400' drives.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
* Ace Member *

It will be a blast. I can't wait. Are you going to do the ADGO one at Redan Scott?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
It will be a blast. I can't wait. Are you going to do the ADGO one at Redan Scott?
Well, I paid my ADGO renewal for the year today, so I'm current at least, and that was a big part of the motivation. My whole family's going out of town for a week on the following Thursday, and if the wife says I gotta help them get ready, I won't be able to make it, but otherwise I will.

And in a moment of insanity, since it's been forever since I played Redan, while I was on the Solstice site I registered for Hotlanta, so I'd have an excuse to play Redan before the ADGO event.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12StonesScott View Post
Have approval from the RDGC BOD to proceed with this, and it's getting a lot more interest here than on the ADGO board, so . . . .

The Roswell Disc Golf Club will be hosting the Roswell Kids & Lids Classic, a non-sanctioned combination juniors/SuperClass event, at East Roswell Park, Roswell, GA, on August 15. Details on divisions, entry fees, etc. are still being worked out, but expect this to be an event with more emphasis on having fun than taking home cash. My thinking was that since I've been hoping for more juniors events in the Atlanta area, and hoping for a SuperClass event, but was worried that either by itself might not draw quite enough interest, combining them would
  • Give parents of the kids playing an excuse to come out and play themselves
  • Let everyone play from the Red tees without boring the better adult players
  • help ensure that the fixed costs for an event at ERP can be covered by a very modest entry fee.

Not quite ready to take signups or anything yet -- if you want to be contacted when we get everything settled, e-mail roswelldiscgolf@gmail.com and we'll get you on the list.
I think it was very smart to combine the two events into one. I am also looking forward to the RDGC throwing its First annual "Rings and Wings" event bringing together my love of Hot wings and the Arobie Ring users!

I really like the combination.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
may i ask what a superclass is?