Disc Golf Store
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 44
But we digress. How 'bout that Superclass?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
I remember trading Firesign Theater tapes on reel to reel...

Hey you kids, with your torrents and your Googles. Look up some Firesign. Eddie Murphy didn't invent comedy, you know. and get off my lawn!
Dude. I'm not sure most kids have any idea that Eddie Murphy ever was funny, given that they mostly know him from things like "Norbit" and "Meet Dave" and such -- those days are mostly two decades past now, when these whippersnappers were still wearing Pull-Ups, if they were born at all. I was going to say that you'd have been better off using . . . and that's where I realized how old I really am. I have no idea who kids today think is funny, or who represents the touchstone of comedic genius for them.

I'll be over here in the corner with my Victrola (no, it's not a prescription drug).
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Unfortunately East Roswell Park is not a weak, unchallenging course.
When I moved to Atlanta from Boston in 1993, I was playing a lot of Ultimate. I hated the heat in Atlanta, the Ultimate scene was much more cliquey and whiney, and the fields we played on were pretty rough so my weak ankles (lots of soccer injuries) caused problems. So I did not have as much fun any more. Someone suggested Disc Golf. I had never heard of it before other than object golf we would play for warm ups in Ultimate. They told me about Wills Park.

So, my DG career started as a Super Class player at Wills. I could reach most of the holes with my lid on a good throw and I was beating all the guys I saw that were carrying bags. For this reason I thought DG was lame and it took me several years (and moving to Charlotte) to re-discover DG and discover the virtues of real DG. I had a lot of fun at Wills trying for the perfect round and played there many times.

I'll need to pick me up a 200g Zephyr (for putting and wind) to compliment my other lids and give this Super Class idea a whirl. It might get me more enthusiastic about playing all the lame-o short courses that in the Chicago suburbs (disc golf desert here!).
Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
So, my DG career started as a Super Class player at Wills. I could reach most of the holes with my lid on a good throw and I was beating all the guys I saw that were carrying bags. For this reason I thought DG was lame and it took me several years (and moving to Charlotte) to re-discover DG and discover the virtues of real DG. I had a lot of fun at Wills trying for the perfect round and played there many times.
A *lot* of DG careers have started at Wills over the years. I guess along with Oregon Park and Redan it's been around the longest of the Atlanta-area courses. A lot of our regulars at East Roswell used to play it all the time, since they're relatively close (at least by Atlanta standards). I rarely play it -- the park's so busy and there's so many places where you have to risk hitting non-golfers, it's just not that much fun to play. If you could flush all the walkers and random moms with strollers and dog shows and everything out of it for a Saturday, it could be a fun place for a SuperClass event also, but I don't see that ever happening.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
I think Alex would be a good place...from the reds you could probably keep par the same.

Maybe if we can get enough folks we could have a little super class series...would be a good thing for the fall/winter when the tourney scene dies down a bit.