Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

So, has anyone else seen these yet? Thoughts on them? They seem to be very lightweight, but not very spaceous. I do like the design concepts though. Not sure how to save pics from a flash player but info at:

http://upperparkdesigns.com/products/focus
http://upperparkdesigns.com/products/shift

They have the focus which holds up to 8 discs, and Shift holds up to 15. Lets get your opinions!

Last edited by Bugz36984; 12-22-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Birdie Member

IMO they would be great starter bags. I feel like the shift is cool for a casual round at your local course, but not so much for tournament play. Aside from disc space, there is no space for snacks, towels, extra layers, anything else that may be associated with multiple, long rounds. And as far as the camelbak idea, not sure if I like this or not, kinda do, kinda don't. For now I think I'll stick with my grip.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 70
To be honest, I'd be way more interested in the Focus if they got rid of the camelbak aspect and dropped the price 20 or 30 bucks. I love the look of the thing, but think it's too expensive for carrying only 4-8 discs. The Shift I'd be more into, but I'm not at a place yet where I'm comfortable dropping $100+ for a disc golf bag.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
To be honest, I'd be way more interested in the Focus if they got rid of the camelbak aspect and dropped the price 20 or 30 bucks. I love the look of the thing, but think it's too expensive for carrying only 4-8 discs. The Shift I'd be more into, but I'm not at a place yet where I'm comfortable dropping $100+ for a disc golf bag.
For about $100 I can get a premium bag from either Voodoo or GB. I like the light weight aspect and they mentioned Osprey fabric which is a local company that makes great bags for hiking but not sure how much dragging around I'd be willing to do with one. Not a huge fan of the water bladder idea either, what it makes up for in light weight with materials it gains all that and then some as soon as you throw a water bladder in it, also I associate having a water bladder with something that I'm not going to be taking off every 2-5 minutes and laying on the ground. It's a good idea, but over priced and under thought about.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 58
They win on style points but fail on function from what little I can see.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: LHBH
The concept is very attractivev and I love the unique look, but I couldn't imagine the "vest" on my back during a round in SE North Carolina.

Not a criticism, but just not for my needs.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
It's definitely a niche idea, for sure. Might appeal more to the mountain areas and hikers. I'm sure the warmer, flatter areas are scratching their heads. But I've played courses in the Vermont mountains that practically have nature walks between holes. Halfway through those rounds you might convince me to shell out some $$ for a lightweight camelbak bag.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 69
I got to try these on. Here's a link to my review: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...96#post1726596
Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz36984 View Post
IMO they would be great starter bags. I feel like the shift is cool for a casual round at your local course, but not so much for tournament play. Aside from disc space, there is no space for snacks, towels, extra layers, anything else that may be associated with multiple, long rounds. And as far as the camelbak idea, not sure if I like this or not, kinda do, kinda don't. For now I think I'll stick with my grip.
Hey guys! Thanks for linking to your review jimbosprint! Noticed you guys were discussing our bags, any questions I can answer, ask away.

Bugz36984, you would be surprised with the space in the Shift for a bag of the size. There are mesh internal pockets on each side for snacks, towels, etc and room at the bottom to hold a sweatshirt or long sleeve.. or beer..

Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Park Designs View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for linking to your review jimbosprint! Noticed you guys were discussing our bags, any questions I can answer, ask away.

Bugz36984, you would be surprised with the space in the Shift for a bag of the size. There are mesh internal pockets on each side for snacks, towels, etc and room at the bottom to hold a sweatshirt or long sleeve.. or beer..
Really that much space? From the pictures posted on your website the side pockets seemed pretty small. I believed they were referred to as "stash pockets" and the company used a cell phone, a wallet and a set of keys to demonstrate the pocket, so I assumed they were quite small. For what its worth, I really like the design. Extremely easy access to your discs, great organization, and lightweight. After toting around a heavy bag a few holes it takes its toll on ya, so a lighter bag is ideal. Plus I like how it only holds 15 discs. This will keep players (like myself when i started), from trying to carry a single disc for every shot. It will help them utilize a single disc in more situations. Nice bags. I'd like to see one in person though, not something I could by directly offline without physically checking one out. Good work guys.