#1  
Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM
aajpity's Avatar
aajpity aajpity is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Crystal, MN
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,766
Backpack Bags

How do you guys like Backpack Bags? I am interested in getting one. Currently I have the PDGA bag that holds like 22 discs (I think it's called the Pro bag) and I enjoy it quite a bit. However, after this year I might be wanting to upgrade.

My criteria is that I want it to be reasonably priced, have a nice amount of storage, putter pocket, 2 drink holders, and I want it to be comfortable. My back isn't the best so I got straps for my current bag. Padding is very nice and helpful. Quality is also key.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
jcassidy1990's Avatar
jcassidy1990 jcassidy1990 is offline
Reptilian Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,288
The Salient Ember fits all of these criteria IMO. I've had a Grip, Simian, Ozark and the Ember is the best all around value that I've come across in the DG Bag market.

Some of my favorite features are:
-Medium Sized Capacity: holds up to 25 discs but I tend to go less than that.
-Horizontal "Go Get It" slot that serves as my putter slot. Holds my three most used discs in my bag
-Felt lined "valuables" pocket on top that does a great job of protecting my phone/music device
-Plenty of storage in the side pockets
-Price point: $125

There are a few cons of the bag but the value outweighs them IMO:
-Interior is not made of 1000D Cordura. It seems to be a decent grade nylon
-mini pocket is "too small" according to some
-widely discussed QC/PR issues in the past

Overall: I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the Ember and I urge anyone that wants to get into the Backpack game without spending a huge sum of money to check them out. I've seen only positive reviews for this bag and I can speak firsthand at the quality and features available.

Salient's Page on the Ember

Last edited by jcassidy1990; 02-25-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Tim_the_Enchanter's Avatar
Tim_the_Enchanter Tim_the_Enchanter is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 100
Posts: 160
Backpack bags are absolutely worth it, especially if you have back issues. The typical disc bag with straps is more comfortable than carrying with a single shoulder strap, but it still wobbles around loosely and its always pulling down and away from your body. A backpack will keep the weight cinched up tight against your body and stays solidly in place and results in being much more comfortable and less fatiguing.

Reasonable price is subjective, but besides the bargain Academy bag, you'll be looking at ~$100-125 from the starting point. I recently picked up the new Salient Ember and first impressions are that its possibly the best bang for the buck out there right now. It should tick all the boxes you've listed, though it's too new to determine its durability (seems like it should hold up though). There should be a few other lower priced options on the market soon, such as Fossa Roa and Odin bags that would be worth considering.

In any case, regardless of what to go with, do yourself a favor and get a backpack bag. It is that much better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is online now
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajpity View Post
My criteria is that I want it to be reasonably priced, have a nice amount of storage, putter pocket, 2 drink holders, and I want it to be comfortable. My back isn't the best so I got straps for my current bag. Padding is very nice and helpful. Quality is also key.
You're describing a Grip bag. Wait for a sale, buy one, and be happy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:32 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 36
Posts: 4,471
If you buy a Salient, pray that you never need to return it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajpity View Post
How do you guys like Backpack Bags?
While I am now considering getting one, I failed with my previous two attempts. They just don't play the way a strap bag does. Always having to take it off, then getting a disc out of a bag on the ground. Hated it compared to eyeing up my shot and pulling a disc out of the bag while still wearing it. Some people simply do not agree that backpacks offer any advantages.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is online now
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
While I am now considering getting one, I failed with my previous two attempts. They just don't play the way a strap bag does. Always having to take it off, then getting a disc out of a bag on the ground. Hated it compared to eyeing up my shot and pulling a disc out of the bag while still wearing it. Some people simply do not agree that backpacks offer any advantages.
So you're keeping your bag on your shoulder while you throw? If not, I don't see the advantage..you're still bending over to pick your bag up.

Plus, a good backpack will have a carrying handle on top, which is fantastic for shorter walks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
So you're keeping your bag on your shoulder while you throw? If not, I don't see the advantage..you're still bending over to pick your bag up.

Plus, a good backpack will have a carrying handle on top, which is fantastic for shorter walks.
No. Well, on some putts. I am not sure what else to say. It's mostly about getting the disc for the next shot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is online now
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
No. Well, on some putts. I am not sure what else to say. It's mostly about getting the disc for the next shot.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's one of those things you don't think about after a while. Plus (at least with the Grip), there's a quiver on top that helps with just grabbing an approach disc or putter.

During tournaments, I'm carrying a stool, and usually end up placing my bag on the stool, so discs are in reach anyway.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I get what you're saying, but I think it's one of those things you don't think about after a while. Plus (at least with the Grip), there's a quiver on top that helps with just grabbing an approach disc or putter.

During tournaments, I'm carrying a stool, and usually end up placing my bag on the stool, so discs are in reach anyway.
The quiver would certainly help. If I ever do it again, I will have my local awning guy sewn in some D rings on each side for a small shoulder strap so I can carry it like a strap bag on shorter walks. The openness of the Upper Park Rebel would make reaching down for a new disc really easy. Looking at that kind of design over the kind like the Ranger where the discs come out more lateral.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.