Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cincinnati advice

I'm looking for some suggestions for a weekend trip to Cincinnati. I intend to spend a full day at Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge. I'm looking for another course or two to play while I'm in the area. I've played Mt. Airy and would prefer something different. I'm willing to drive a bit and am coming from the north.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 82
Transplanted Cincinnati resident here. Since you've already played the best of what the area has to offer, I would have to say give Boone Woods a try.

Boone Woods used to be a really wide open, boring course, but it was completely redesigned near the end of 2009. I played it quite a bit before I moved this past January because it was a pretty short course that you can easily play a full round in about an hour to an hour and a half. Plus, it's only about 3 miles or so from Idlewild right off KY 18. You'll pass it if you're coming from I-71/75 heading to Idlewild.

If you're coming down I-75, Belmont Park in Dayton is pretty highly rated and is one of the courses I'm hoping to hit up when I'm back in town in June. Others to consider would be AJ Jolly Park, Monroe Community Park, Heritage Park, Gulley Park, and Miami University.

Last edited by InnocentCrook; 03-28-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Par Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Crook. I'll take a look at those courses. I played Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge the last time i was in the area. I'm so stoked to have my butt kicked by Idlewild.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 60
maybe Hueston Woods. It's completely wooded with elevation changes. They supposedly worked on it quite a bit last summer/fall, but don't know if all 27 holes are finished/cleared yet. But i agree with Cook on Monroe, Gulley, Miami, and AJ Jolly(although i've never played). Heritage is completely FLAT with virtually no trees.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 48
William Harbin is not too bad.
Winton Woods is not much more than a pitch and putt but it was the 88 worlds course and its being torn out and re-did soon so its a little bit of disc golf history.
Woodland Mound same thing just a pitch and putt but was the 85 worlds course and most of the course layout is still the original Steady Ed design another cool disc golf history course.
If you can make it up to Miami Oxford that course is nice.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 289
I'd skip Winton Woods and Woodland Mound, they are both old and very short courses that I will not play again.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Par Member

The input has been great, thanks all. Keep them coming. I really like getting the diverse perspectives on the various courses in the area.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 12
I second the thought on Boone Woods. They have moved several pins in the past year and made the course better. It will only challenge you on 2 maybe 3 holes but its definitely a fun course! You cannot go wrong with Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge just do not let the course get to you or it will eat you up mentally.

Play Idlewild several times! It sounds weird but the course has a rhythm from hole to hole and when you start to get in sync with that tune you start sinking putts and landing straight beautiful drives. It takes a couple of times playing through, though. As a side note, watch out for snakes at Idlewild. I was there last week and someone had put a dead one on top of a basket, scared me half to death. I saw two more and killed one, and I only played 9 holes.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 108
You should consider hitting up Pride Park if you have extra time. Its just a few miles from Lincoln Ridge. Theres a lot of Pride Park haters out there, but it's a fun and unique course IMO. This is definitely the best time of year to play it too.

I've also heard from a few people that Sycamore Trails and Buck Creek are both worth playing if in the area.

Happy Discin'

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 41
a friend of mine heard a rumor that there is a possible course that is perfect for a left handed person in the cincinnati area? there any truth to this?

thx much.