Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default My current bag, critique please.

Drivers:
Four destroyers from newest to most beat. Fresh 175 champ, 171 Avery(nicely worn), 172 star(little more warn), 175 champ(pretty beat)
One 175 champ sidewinder. I use it for rollers. Had it for a very long time and I know how it rolls
Two thunderbirds. 175 Glow champ and g star. Both pretty much the same(slight wear) I just like how the g star sits on long shots. Glow for skips, even though they both skip well the g star sometimes messes up.
1 flick. It's flat but not stupid over stable like rff firebirds. Maybe temporary until I pick up a firebird I like.

Fairway:
3 teebirds. In order of stability. 175 Brinster, fresh 167 echo star, worn 171 champ teebird.

Mids:
2 roc3s. Champ and g star. Champ for skips and slides. G star sits.
2 atlas. Star(worn) and just picked up the xt trying it out.
1 gator. Champion.

Putters:
1 nova. Been putting, driving and using it for ups. It's new and I'm digging it.
2 kc pro aviar. Just switched from wizards I was digging it till I got the nova for putts. Still use for Up shots that skip, hyzer putts, hyzer ups, rollers and short drives.
1 wizard. Beat to crap firm SS. Till a kc pro breaks in.

I know my putter situation is wacky right now I really am thinking about switching to Novas for putting and sticky ups and drives. I think the nova and kc pro complement each other well.

Questions and critique welcome!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

So I lost my most beat destroyer. So I cycled in a fresh pro destroyer I'm going to beat in over the next few weeks. Question is, should I just pick up a champion and g star tern instead. I figure the champ will start off like a seasoned destroyer. And the g star will be like a beat destroyer. That way when I lose my flippy driver I can just go buy another. And I also won't have to worry about seasoning that perfect destroyer for distance.

I'm also wondering if I should get a champ banshee. So it would be banshee>brinster>fresh echo star teebird> worn champion> dx teebird> roller teebird. I forgot to mention I have two dx teebirds. One is pretty straight ones beat to crap roller. The brinster fights wind like a beast for me but it usually doesn't fade much in a direct strong headwind. Thinking the banshee will fight and win as well as having that dependable fade I like.

More on the putter situation. I've bought four novas now. Using two. One for putting and the other driving and upshots. And use the other two while practicing so they don't get far behind in wear. I'm vary rarely using the kc for anything besides rollers. It's to cold and they may break. Do you think there is overlap or they complement each other well? Been thinking about just taking them out, if I need fade, skips, etc I can use the roc3 or gator powered down. The nova is so neutral it takes almost any line I put on it. But the nova does not roll well. And I like throwing rollers.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 29

I'm not that well versed on discs, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but:

- On the Terns (which I don't have the arm for, I do have a 175 Champ that I wouldn't cry about losing if you want to PM me about it), it sounds like a good idea but that introduces another mold. However, with only Destroyers, Flick, and a Sidewinder, that shouldn't be a concern. I'd say pick them up if you can (Academy sells Terns, so they're super easy to get), and carry them if you loose a Destroyer until one beats into that slot.

- I just picked up a Nova and haven't had too much of a chance to mess with it, but so far I dig it. I'm not as big on putting with it (I like to have a bit more stability in a putter), but for driving and upshots the thing is shweetness. No idea on the rollers though; I wouldn't sweat carrying a KC Pro for rollers.

Also, really dig the fairway and mid set-up; simple, but you have everything covered.

That being said, if the Champ Banshee will give you that left-finishing shot in headwinds, it may be worth having as a windy day disc
Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks man for the advice and complement! I need to get paypal. Will be doing that soon so likely start doing the marketplace and I'll def hit ya up.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWaggoner View Post
So I lost my most beat destroyer. So I cycled in a fresh pro destroyer I'm going to beat in over the next few weeks. Question is, should I just pick up a champion and g star tern instead. I figure the champ will start off like a seasoned destroyer. And the g star will be like a beat destroyer. That way when I lose my flippy driver I can just go buy another. And I also won't have to worry about seasoning that perfect destroyer for distance.
I would suggest the tern, it's sneaky far. The champ will fly like a longer sidewinder. Holds that nice slow drift before it comes back

I'm also wondering if I should get a champ banshee. So it would be banshee>brinster>fresh echo star teebird> worn champion> dx teebird> roller teebird. I forgot to mention I have two dx teebirds. One is pretty straight ones beat to crap roller. The brinster fights wind like a beast for me but it usually doesn't fade much in a direct strong headwind. Thinking the banshee will fight and win as well as having that dependable fade I like.
I like the idea of the banshee, it has a nice hard fade that allows for some hyzers.

More on the putter situation. I've bought four novas now. Using two. One for putting and the other driving and upshots. And use the other two while practicing so they don't get far behind in wear. I'm vary rarely using the kc for anything besides rollers. It's to cold and they may break. Do you think there is overlap or they complement each other well? Been thinking about just taking them out, if I need fade, skips, etc I can use the roc3 or gator powered down. The nova is so neutral it takes almost any line I put on it. But the nova does not roll well. And I like throwing rollers.
I would drop the KC, the gator will roll, hyzer, and skip better powered down. Just give it a couple of rounds to get used to it.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

I hadn't tried rolling the gator I'll give it a go soon. Ty for your suggestions looks like I need a tern 2/2 on that
Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Gator seems great at rolling. Less dependent on angle.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 55

thats the key, especially short fh rollers.

things like that help me to not think too much about my shot.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

So I have expanded a bit on my bag. I've lost some discs and I've changed a few things. I also don't use all these discs usually at once.

12 speed. Destroyer (5), PD2
175 champ. Headwind & skips
170ish PD2. Worn. Straight with good fade. Flex shots.
171 champ. Beatish. Max d into headwind when it's still important to finish left.
169 star. max d calm and mild tailwind. Hyzer flip distance driver.
172 echo star. Flippy. Heavy tailwind max d. Hyper flip to turnover calm.
163 champ. Light weight. Still learning it. Prolly use it just for tailwinds. Seems stable enough for regular use though. May take out idk yet.

9 speed. Max weight all.
Star thunderbird. Control driver. Straight with fade. Go to. BH and FH
Glow champ firebird. Headwind control driver. Skips. BH and FH. Flex shots
Dx firebird. Worn. Straight with good fade. BH and FH.
Icon Mongoose. Straight with a little turn that comes back. Seems more stable then the flight numbers suggest. Holds a anhyzers and fights out to the end. Will prolly buy another once it beats in a bit for one that'll fight anhyzers out and one that'll will not.

Fairway: 5 teebirds
Brinster. Headwind and heavier hyzer
Champ. Straight to fade.
11x champ. Straight to slight turnover. Slight powered down long anhyzers.
Dx. Beat. Hyzer to turnover. Powered down turnover. Trick ****s
Dx. Thrashed. Trick ****s. Standstill hyzer to turnover.

Mids.
Gator. Headwinds. Heavy hyzers. Skips. Flex shots.
Champ roc3. Worn. Straight with fade. Headwind straight to slight turnover. Anhyzers.
Champ roc3. Fresh. Straight with bit more fade then other. Stays straight in headwind. Doesn't turn over.
Atlas. Little hyzer to turnover that doesn't come back. Powered down anhyzers.

Putters.
Nova. Main putter. Upshots. Straight shorter drives. Sticks. And anhyzers
Icon Hunter. Driving and upshot putter. Use it like a nova that'll slide. Anhyzers as well
Kc pro aviar. Driving and upshots with fade. Powered down flex shots. Use it as putter on windier days or if putting is off.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

So im going to rework my bag some. Its tough seasoning discs in various stages of wear. And this weekend showed me flaws in my bag.

I need a broken in thunderbird. So im thinking about getting a champ or star valkyrie to compliment my star thunderbird which isnt breaking in. I throw it all the time that pro shop star is some durable ****.

I had two teebirds in the bag this weekend. A straight flyer star and a very broken in 11x champ. I need something to slot between so bought a leopard3.

Also dont have a turnover putter. My oldest nova turns nice but i have to throw it anny. Idk if i need it, but my finesse game was crap. Might get a sonic.