Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Quinum's ITB - 2016

I am pretty comfortable with my bag right now, but thought I'd throw this up here as an update in case anyone has input. The main slot that is up for grabs is the control driver slot currently occupied by the Thunderbird. I recently dropped everything north of speed 9 (read: Outlaws). I also do not carry an US midrange, but that is on purpose.

Fossil "TF" Wizard - Majority of putts
Fossil Fuel Wizard - Majority of putter tee shots, longer upshots.
OG Wizard (Mint SS) - Majority of approaches, touch shots, longer putts.
Fossil Scale - When I want to throw a Wizard, but it is too windy.

Protege Ghost - Workhorse mid, straight/stable, great glide
Pinnacle Ghost - Slightly less glide and more fade than the Protege, better in the wind
Champion Gator - Mid-range duties on extra-windy days, some approaches & flicks

Pinnacle Patriot - Straight, slightly US
Sparkle Rival - Straight with fade, very reliable

Legend Mongoose - Understable, goes far if it has room to work, rollers
Champion Thunderbird - Stable, predictable workhorse
Champion Firebird - Wind duties, skip shots, thumbers
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 13

Looks good, I think most could take your bag out and have a decent round. What others are trying out for the control driver spot?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmcgee View Post
Looks good, I think most could take your bag out and have a decent round. What others are trying out for the control driver spot?
Thanks. In addition to the Thunderbird, I have tried a C-PD and Q-OLF. I have also considered the FL, but decided against it since they are becoming harder and harder to find.

I saw that they released a new run of Q-OLFs (or at least they have a new stamp), so I could potentially check one of those out. I am essentially looking for a disc that is roughly the same speed as a firebird, overstable enough to consistently fight the wind, but more workable and with more distance potential than the FB.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
Thanks. In addition to the Thunderbird, I have tried a C-PD and Q-OLF. I have also considered the FL, but decided against it since they are becoming harder and harder to find.

I saw that they released a new run of Q-OLFs (or at least they have a new stamp), so I could potentially check one of those out. I am essentially looking for a disc that is roughly the same speed as a firebird, overstable enough to consistently fight the wind, but more workable and with more distance potential than the FB.
Have you tried the FD3? I havent thrown one so I dont know if that fits your criteria, but when you said same speed as a FB that came to mind
Old 04-04-2016, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 69

When you say "same speed as a firebird, but more workable and more distance potential" you are talking about 3 discs: PD, OLF, Thunderbird. All three share the same Firebird-X wing. All three are a Firebird at heart, but made to be more workable and with more distance potential.
For my part, I choose OLFs for most applications. PDs when there's more wind or I ABSOLUTELY need solid 0 HSS, and Thunderbirds when I am throwing over water that is unquestionably farther than I can throw.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
Have you tried the FD3? I havent thrown one so I dont know if that fits your criteria, but when you said same speed as a FB that came to mind
No, I haven't looked into the FD3 and I honestly don't know much about it (or any Discmania stuff, really). I should probably research this one a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
When you say "same speed as a firebird, but more workable and more distance potential" you are talking about 3 discs: PD, OLF, Thunderbird. All three share the same Firebird-X wing. All three are a Firebird at heart, but made to be more workable and with more distance potential.
For my part, I choose OLFs for most applications. PDs when there's more wind or I ABSOLUTELY need solid 0 HSS, and Thunderbirds when I am throwing over water that is unquestionably farther than I can throw.
Out of curiosity, what is it about the OLF that makes you prefer it over the Thunderbird? Also, have you thrown the latest (1.4, I believe) run of QOLFs? If that run came out pretty flat and they are flying fairly stable, I might grab one for testing. I have a couple gift cards to burn through, anyway.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 69

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is it about the OLF that makes you prefer it over the Thunderbird? Also, have you thrown the latest (1.4, I believe) run of QOLFs? If that run came out pretty flat and they are flying fairly stable, I might grab one for testing. I have a couple gift cards to burn through, anyway.
Not really sure. Personal preference probably. And spite. And they're better. It's science.

Yes. I've thrown the 1.4 run in both Quantum and Sirius. It is a beefy run, but flatter than the 1.2s or 1.3s were. My 1.4 QOLF is PD beefy. 1.4 SOLF is a touch softer than I prefer Star plastic to be. But still mostly flat and solidly OS. Although I am sure the 1.4 SOLF will break into a glidey workhorse, I just prefer 1.1s for mostly everything.
Except that the 1.4 QOLF is likely to kick PDs out of my bag entirely.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Default Quinum's ITB - 2016

What about the RDG Raptor/ Daredevil Sabertooth/Mammoth/Buffalo?

They seems more workable then a Firebird. The ArmorFlex Raptor is a Mammoth. The upcoming Amber Raptor is a Sabertooth. The Buffalo is a bit lighterweight baseline (kinda) version.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 16

Quote:

i'd like to flip the question on its head and ask you as well.

you tried the olf - which run was it and how did it compare to your thunderbird?

a CPD is the beefiest of all three by far; i find it basically unused except in specific headwind situations.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 16

i ask because i've never thrown a thunderbird - i'm honestly tempted to buy one just to throw it and take some profile pics and then trade/sell it.