Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Starting Over..

It's too cold out to do anything but think for a few months, so I figured why not post one of these.
I haven't played a whole course with whole bag more than 5 times in the last 5 years and have been studying and trying to fix my form some from the OAT machine I used to be. So I have some questions and didn't know rather to do multiple threads or combine, and wasn't even sure this is the right spot. Will include a disc list at the bottom.

1) Should I try to sell off most, if not all, of my drivers to pick up more putters and mids? Or just sit some of them off to the side for a while and see how they act when I can throw them the way they're supposed to fly?

2) I used to have an unhealthy love for Challengers, but they don't have much in the way of durability. I'm down to only 2 D's that are pretty beat and a hard X that I didn't get along with as well as the D's
A)Should I pick up a stack of them or go with something else? In my searching, it looks like sticking with Challengers would be about half the price.

B) What is everyone's thoughts on a complete different mold for driving putter? Something in a more durable plastic, which I'll have to research what to go with since I haven't bought a new disc in about 7 years.
Code:
Manufacturer	Model	Weight	Plastic	Bag	Type		Totals	Totals
DGA	        Riptide	173-174		Bag	Driver		Discraft	23
Discraft	Crush	173	Z	Bag	Driver		Innova	10
Discraft	Flash	171	Z	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	Flick	173	Z	Bag	Driver		Driver	23
Discraft	Predator172	Z	Bag	Driver		Mid	10
Discraft	Predator170-172	X	Bag	Driver		Putter	6
Discraft	Surge	174	ESP	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	Surge	174	Esp	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	Tracker	173-174	X	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	Xpress	174	Z	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	XS	174	Z	Bag	Driver			
Innova	 Sidewinder	172	Star	Bag	Driver			
Discraft	Demon	174	Old	Bag	Mid			
Discraft	Impact	172	ESP	Bag	Mid			
Discraft	Meteor	173	ESP	Bag	Mid			
Discraft	Nebula	174	ESP	Bag	Mid			
Discraft        Challenger173-174	D	Bag	Putter			
Discraft        Challenger173-175	D	Bag	Putter			
Discraft	Spectra	172	?		Driver			
Discraft	Surge	?	FLX		Driver			
Discraft	X2	174	Elite Pro		Driver			
Gateway	        Spirit	173	Old		Driver			
Innova		Beast	172	Dx		Driver			
Innova		Beast	175	Dx		Driver			
Innova	Destroyer	170	Dx		Driver			
Innova		Dragon	150			Driver			
Innova		Monarch	175	Champ		Driver			
Innova		Viking*	175	Dx		Driver			
Millenium	LS	161	?		Driver			
Discraft	Buzzz	177	ESP		Mid			
Discraft	Drone	173-174	D		Mid			
Discraft	Stratus	173	D		Mid			
Fly by night	Owl	?	?		Mid			
Innova		Goblin	175	Dx		Mid			
Innova		Shark	180?	Champ		Mid			
Discraft	Challenger173-174X		Putter			
Gateway	Wizard	175	Old		Putter			
Innova	Aviar	150	Dx		Putter			
Lightning	Rubber 	174	n/a		Putter
Sorry about the spacing issues on a few of the lines, I copied this from an Excel file and it's the best I could do.
2 notes to add. I used to have a Z Avenger in the bag but it found a river. Same with a Z Flash, the one that's currently in the bag is much more overstable, almost crush-like.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 34
Do you like the Wizard? Ever driven with it?

Are you more comfortable with the Shark or the Buzzz? I'd pick one and start throwing it a bunch.

What's your favorite driver?
I heard the new Flash is more OS, but I always got more distance out of my older one compared to a Surge, and that Riptide should fly about the same as the Avenger.

Do you throw the Polaris LS much? What's your FD of choice? You want a straight one and maybe a turning

You could add a OS and US compliment to your workhorse mid, like the Drone and the Stratus or Meteor.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Par Member

My old form that I'm trying get rid of very much limited me distance and OAT/wrist roll, but I would drive with the Challenger on holes less than 200' Wasp less than 220' (lost)Flash and Avenger were most used drivers, Flash would get a bit more distance, Avenger was a little more consistent placement

Never liked the Shark, the Buzzz was touchy. Wasp was my goto. G5i Demon was my OS and Meteor was my US. Carried the Impact and Nebula but I don't really remember why, I'm thinking as a slightly US mid.
Tracker was my Fairway, but the X is OOP XS had some duties as a fairway.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

This sounds more like a form issue than a disc issue. From the OAT talk and the OS disc preference, it seems your release should be your focus. Once you get a level release, you should be able to push your mids out past 250'. Then you can determine the best discs for your new form.

When I start yanking things over, I get out a neutral mid, I slow way down and I really watch the disc, even during pullback, focusing on a clean, level release.

As your form gets better, you should revisit the molds that didn't agree with your old form. Then you can decide what to throw and what to sell.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Par Member

Thank you. I may have posted in the wrong spot, as I wasn't looking to change any discs yet, but wondering if I should sell off the drivers to pick up more mids for form work.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Eagle Member

I think Nebulas are kind of rare and I bet you could get $8-10 for each of your Surges and the Champ Shark.

I could throw out discs to try, but I think you have enough to work with. Do some field work with your mids, the LS and the XS. Field work is the quickest way to get better.