Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Default Back in to the sport, what am I missing?

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Played disc golf casually in college, and spent a year after playing quite a bit, Abandoned it for 4 years, and now I'm really into it again and comitted to getting better.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: 50/50 BH and FH
Golf Distance (avg) for putter/mid/driver: Harp:200 ; Warship: 250-275; Stag: 300-325

Sex: M

So, I never intended to get so ate up with westside disc when I started playing again, Was alway a big Innova guy when I used to play 4-5 years ago, but When I bought a bunch of random discs from Innova, Lat 64, Legacy, and Westside about 4 months ago, I just clicked with a lot of westside molds.

So I've been playing for about 4 months pretty heavy and would like some feedback, maybe if you see some glaring holes you could let me know.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
172 TP Catapult (distance Forehand) can get it to about 350-360 forehand, never BH'ed
171TP Sword (Distance BH flip) can get to about 350-360 on good pull on straight shots)not consistent
175 TP Boatman BEAT(distance BH) Was my fav disc, getting a bit flippy, Used to FH
173 VIP Boatman newish(straight FH)
174 TP Longbowman newish (fairway BH that i need to skip or finish left, good FH too for about 320ft)
171 VIP Longbowman (windy fairway BH, main FH disc)
173 TP Stag (workhorse driver, BH about 310-320 straight)
174 VIP Stag NEW (figured I could use this if I need a BH to finish a little more left then TP)

Mids:
177 TP Warship starting to wear in (2nd fav disc, Use off tee a lot in wooded courses around here, 250-275ft)
175 VIP Warship NEW (we'll see how this throws)
179 TP Bard (Honestly like this as a utility disc in the woods, very dependable fade)
178 VIP Bard (windy day driver on short holes, throw about 250-260 ft)

Putters:
2 175 Medium Daggers ( putting putters)
174 BT soft Harp (FH and BH approach shots within 125 ft I need to land soft)
176 TP Harp (Fav. disc, drive on really short holes, can throw a little over 200 ft)
174 VIP Harp ( FH approaches within 200 ft)

If you read all of that, Thank you! I'm not sure I'm totally sold on my distance drivers. Stag and longbowman are here to stay. Really liking Westside, would like to stay with mostly them but I'll throw whatever I throw best. I don't feel I have arm for giant or world yet. Also not totally set on the dagger, seems a little inconsistent for me. Might need to just go back to KC aviars. Any comments or suggestions is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Throwing Style: RHBH

Well if you want to stay in the trilogy line of discs try a judge for putting. Your post made me realize how solid Westside's line is.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3

So I do have two suggestions. Do you ever find yourself missing a straighter putter to drive with? Warships are long mids and the harp is more overstable. Maybe a judge or opto pure. I also like to have one flippy driver for rollers or low power shots, etc. Maybe something like a vision,fury, hatchet, seer, or underworld, if you like trilogy stuff.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Hyzer View Post
So I do have two suggestions. Do you ever find yourself missing a straighter putter to drive with? Warships are long mids and the harp is more overstable. Maybe a judge or opto pure. I also like to have one flippy driver for rollers or low power shots, etc. Maybe something like a vision,fury, hatchet, seer, or underworld, if you like trilogy stuff.
great suggestions, I was planning on throwing the hatchet back in the bag. I use to have a megasoft shield for straighter approaches, but I've had my eye on an opto or gold pure for a while too. Thanks so much!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 248

You missed Prodigy change the game!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 9

My bag is mostly Trilogy. I love the Frost Claymore; kicked my Buzzz out of the bag and Soft Judge for putting. I also use a Lucid Verdict time to time for hyzer upshots, skips, etc.

Maybe try those if you're not already set for mids/putters.