Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
TDK is messing with a new mixed bag

So I have always messed with the occasional disc although I have not followed new releases in years. Recently picked up a used world and a king and am liking them. My current setup is:

World x2
King x1 (until I beat it in some)
Z pred x3 (I have one beat straight)
ESP Cyclone x2
DX Roc x3
Zone
Mercy x3

I used to throw a Buzzz and a X Comet for my mid game. I love the roc and always have. I ditched the discraft pair because they were too long, the cyclone overlapped them a bit. The roc is much easer to power down.

Here is the thing, the king/world combo is leaving a larger gap between my cyclone/pred combo than the force did. I am considering trying to replace the cyclone with a slightly faster control driver. The pred covers a lot of slightly faster roles, but I feel that something can fill the control slot better. I am thinking a Saint Pro may be worth a try. I love how i can line shape a cyclone though. I am also afraid the Roc will not cover the gap to a longer control driver well either. Suggestions?

Also I ditched the ion for the mercy a while back because the ion, while being a LONG controllable driver putter, when I switched back to rocs I didnt see the need for the ion to be so long anymore. Also I have always though the ion was a bit of a one trick pony (STRAIGHT) where the mercy will flex out for me and give me more versatility.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

I was too slow on the edit. I wanted to add this info:
I play at 4200-6000' elevation

My "golf D"
RHBH 450'
RHFH 300'
RHBH putters to 325' I have not been pushing my putters on the course anymore, I used to throw the slowest disc I could reach the pin with. Now I am trying to keep in the 70-80% power range on the tee.
I forehand approach most shots 225'-100', inside of which I jump putt. I forehand approach my putter or roc mainly. I am trying to move up to confidence in my forehand with drivers again, but my controllable D with drivers is about 300'.

Longest measured drive 592' 164g Gold Line river big L-R tail wind. I consistently put nukes over 500' on distance lines.

Also in tournaments and serious rounds (for $) I will throw a few thumbers, they are so easy and consistent. I throw them were many people would throw a forehand spike hyzer. I can push them to 350'.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

This was bag from 2010, the last time I was playing competitively often. There was minimal change from then until recently (the ion stayed in the bag and challengers went away)

Tdk bag
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
So I have always messed with the occasional disc although I have not followed new releases in years. Recently picked up a used world and a king and am liking them. My current setup is:

World x2
King x1 (until I beat it in some)
Z pred x3 (I have one beat straight)
ESP Cyclone x2
DX Roc x3
Zone
Mercy x3
Honestly it seems like a PD would be your jam. Having something that is a little bit faster than a true speed 7-9 yet you can really crank on it. You can grab it in 4 different plastics.

If you are digging trilogy plastics, saint pro isn't a bad choice, but it definitely isn't as HSS as a PD or something of that nature.

I really like the World/King setup, have you thought about using a giant or something to supplement the distance drivers?

Bag is very clean, looks great.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

I love the PD. I keep buying them but not bagging them. The main reason is I have a predator. And they go just as far as the pd for me. I do know if my stack of broken in and longer preds dry up I will probably toss the PD.
That said I loved the PPD and the preds don't really cover the P PD because the lack of glide in the pred. Maybe I can pick up a couple of those again. Maybe I don't throw the PD because I am afraid it would kick the predator out of the bag... I stopped throwing X preds when they got harder to find. If the CPD is stable enough it could almost happen.

I have thought about the giant as well. Its just fairly infrequent I feel I need longer than pred and more stable than the world.

So I guess my question should be can a C-PD replace my most stable utility pred? Do they overhand well? Does the giant overhand well?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
I love the PD. I keep buying them but not bagging them. The main reason is I have a predator. And they go just as far as the pd for me. I do know if my stack of broken in and longer preds dry up I will probably toss the PD.
That said I loved the PPD and the preds don't really cover the P PD because the lack of glide in the pred. Maybe I can pick up a couple of those again. Maybe I don't throw the PD because I am afraid it would kick the predator out of the bag... I stopped throwing X preds when they got harder to find. If the CPD is stable enough it could almost happen.

I have thought about the giant as well. Its just fairly infrequent I feel I need longer than pred and more stable than the world.

So I guess my question should be can a C-PD replace my most stable utility pred? Do they overhand well? Does the giant overhand well?
The giant does OH well from what I know, I almost exclusively use xxx for overhand shots so I actually don't think I've thrown the giant or PD OH more than 5 times combined...

I get what you are saying though, some people would rather stretch a PD/Pred or throw a more straight distance shot like a World rather than throw the megabeef speed 12/13.

I think the biggest advantage of the PD is the different flight paths from the different plastics.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post

I think the biggest advantage of the PD is the different flight paths from the different plastics.
This I can agree with. When I was throwing Z and X Preds (occasionally ESP) as well they covered a lot of my bag. Now my straightest Z pred overlaps my slightly broken in Cyclone a bit. Between the two molds thats a lot of ground covered, but not quite the same as when I was throwing X preds (which were like DX teebirds that went 70' further for me)

So I may not trade the unthrown G PD I have, and try out a few more P PD's as its been a while. I actually picked up a S-Line PD that was freak stamped in the used bin a while back. I didn't realise that they put that stamp on the Star equivalent. I had forgotten what the discmania plastics were like. Long story short its very flat on top and I don't like how it flies much. Its too much like my middle stability predators, which get a ton of use now but wasn't what I was looking for in the PD.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Here is the thing, the king/world combo is leaving a larger gap between my cyclone/pred combo than the force did. I am considering trying to replace the cyclone with a slightly faster control driver. The pred covers a lot of slightly faster roles, but I feel that something can fill the control slot better. I am thinking a Saint Pro may be worth a try. I love how i can line shape a cyclone though. I am also afraid the Roc will not cover the gap to a longer control driver well either. Suggestions?
What about Eagle for the longer Cyclone?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
This I can agree with. When I was throwing Z and X Preds (occasionally ESP) as well they covered a lot of my bag. Now my straightest Z pred overlaps my slightly broken in Cyclone a bit. Between the two molds thats a lot of ground covered, but not quite the same as when I was throwing X preds (which were like DX teebirds that went 70' further for me)

So I may not trade the unthrown G PD I have, and try out a few more P PD's as its been a while. I actually picked up a S-Line PD that was freak stamped in the used bin a while back. I didn't realise that they put that stamp on the Star equivalent. I had forgotten what the discmania plastics were like. Long story short its very flat on top and I don't like how it flies much. Its too much like my middle stability predators, which get a ton of use now but wasn't what I was looking for in the PD.
it sounds like you may have gotten a test config? if it's very flat and overstable like your pred, it sounds like a test config. basically all SPD have some dome. i could be wrong about what you've got, of course.

if you get a flat GPD and a domey GPD you'll have a flipper out of the box (the flat ones) and a wonderful, glidey stable/overstable machine that you won't ever want to stop throwing- the GPD with some dome..

but honestly unless you get a CFR CPD you probably won't be able to replace your most overstable preds. they do overhand well, so do the good SPD and CPD.

as far as the giant goes, i really enjoy it. it will handle a hard rip and good headwind, at least the ones i've got. it's like a longer PD, that's really the best comparison i've got from my sample size of one "good" giant. truly a longer pd. i did get a freaky flat one that was more like a stiletto. crazy overstable, like a longer FAF FB.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 11-17-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
What about Eagle for the longer Cyclone?
I used to love the eagle. I had a good ce eagle and a bunch of dx eagles. I didn't consider them when I started throwing cyclones again (when they came out in esp) but didn't like that innova was selling both eagle molds under the same name and didn't want to deal with that. I have never thrown a star eagle-x are they controllable and glidy-ish? I would want some dx ones but steping up in speed I would be worried about durability some. They don't make pro eagles correct?
Really I am thinking of stepping to a speed 9 or so disc to bridge the gap. Then I may want to put the buzzz back in to bridge the other speed gap...